So, does the webcam do anything?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Grumpy Moose, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumpy Moose

Grumpy Moose Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't seem to find any installed software that makes the webcam work. For example, how do you get the webcam to simply display an image on the screen. Seems pretty silly to have a built in piece of harware that doesn't do anything (from what I can tell). What am I missing?

2. Sp1ce

Sp1ce Pen Pal - Newbie

Try installing Skype and make a video call.
    Or if you just want to fool around with photos install yawcam.

It's just meant for video conferencing

3. AllenPapapetrou

AllenPapapetrou Scribbler - Standard Member

Try Yawcam and/or Skype...

Allen

4. bahaya

bahaya Pen Pal - Newbie

...or try Windows Live Movie Maker, it comes preinstalled with Live Essentials, click Webcam Video and you should see. I use Skype and Adobe Connect all the time and it works great.

5. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

One of my favorites is onenote, have it record a meeting or lecture, or even just a brain note. One note then tries to index your words. pretty neat...

6. SteveB4

SteveB4 Pen Pal - Newbie

I intalled asus smartlogon to use webcam to log into windows.

7. special

special Pen Pal - Newbie

8. JimDandy

JimDandy Scribbler - Standard Member

I used the free Asus SmartLogon software for a while but decided on going with the FastAccess Facial Recognition software instead. If you have an opportunity, try the FastAccess for free during the 30 day trial. It also uses your screen (turning it to all white) to provide lighting when you're in a dark environment so it can recognise you.

The Asus product worked fine but I found it was slower than FastAccess and I was having to use the picture taking feature very often to “teach” it my face in new surroundings. The FastAccess tool must capture pictures similarly to Asus but it does it automatically, and I think the occasional learning FastAccess requires only needs a portion of your password when it thinks it recognizes your face but can’t be certain, usually in new locations/backgrounds. That’s what it seems like anyway as I sometimes enter the first 3 characters of my password while it is learning and it logs me on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.