Smart PC Pro 700T - Keyboard Problems?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by rpo, Nov 26, 2012.

1. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

Is anyone else having issues with the keyboard for the 700T connecting and disconnecting constantly? Mine will connect and disconnect about once a second even when it is sitting still on a stable surface. It is completely useless.

I noticed a large percentage of Amazon reviewers are commenting on the same problem. I purchased mine from Amazon, but exchanging it is not an option since they "do not know when or even if they will receive more 700T's from Samsung".

Samsung wants me to ship the computer across the country via ground (one week) where it will then take "7+ business days for repair", and then they only ship the computer back via ground (another week). So....after waiting two months for delivery, I am stuck hoping Samsung will manage to repair the tablet by Christmas. Due to their botched release date fiasco, I have this strong feeling that their repair facility will not have the replacement parts needed to fix the tablet as well.

On a positive note, the computer is easily disassembled and still uses a standard mSATA SSD. I will be replacing mine with a 256GB SSD once it is repaired.

2. ggoldfingerd

ggoldfingerd Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder what Samsung actually does during the repair and if the solution fixes the issue 100%. The 500T's also have disconnect issues, which is what I have. I believe it's inherent to the design. If I play with the tablet position on the dock, I can get the disconnects down, but they still happen. I guess it would be nice to know if it works perfect for anyone.

3. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

A few reviewers on Amazon have said they were able to swap just the keyboard with another one at a Microsoft store. That apparently fixed the problem, so it appears to be a design issue with the keyboard. That swap would probably only work if you bought the tablet from a Microsoft store though.

4. ckswong

ckswong Pen Pal - Newbie

mine was really bad. i mean really bad, on the bed it would disconnect constantly and even when typing on a table. ive seemed to have found a fix for it tho. i took two pages of 8.5x11 sheets of paper and folded it over and stuck it into the dock. next you take your tablet and insert it into the dock with the paper and tada! tight fitting connection and no disconnects. its a ugly fix but hey it works. too bad the tablet has other issues with it as well.

5. aussiedeza

aussiedeza Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi rpo, i managed to swap my keyboard for the keyboard of a display model at the store i originally purchased mine from and it fixed the problem as the fault is definitely with the keyboard itself not the tablet.

Also any chance you could explain the how you opened it up i would like to swap my ssd for a larger one too but don't want to damage the case first.

6. MobileHG

MobileHG Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been testing the ATIV 500T for about 4 weeks with keyboard dock and never had an issue with the keyboard dock. It was solid! I just got the ATIV 700T for Christmas, my wife gave me this great gift but having keyboard disconnect issues. Very bad! I already exchanged the first one and got another one and this one is also doing the same thing. :( I have till the end of January to return it and either get my money back or get another one. I really like the 700T tablet. I was really enjoying the 12 hour battery life from the ATIV 500T but I can't use as a full desktop replacement as I can with the 700T.

I might bring the ATIV 700T with me to CES 2013 for editing my videos with CyberLink PowerDirector 11 which I have just loaded up but haven't had a chance to edit any videos yet. Still testing the keyboard dock and if it continues I will just take my Series 7 Slate that I used last year which worked well. On the show floor I will be carrying my Galaxy Note II and my Acer W510 and leaving the ATIV 700T or Series 7 Slate at the room to edit.

7. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using the 700T for about 3 weeks so far and have had no issues at all with my keyboard disconnecting. I have used it on the bed, in my lap, and on a table and it has never disconnected. There is definitely a manufacturing issue with some of the keyboards. If you can get a keyboard without the issue then it really is great to use with the tablet. The tablet itself has been excellent.

8. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree. I am on my second 700t and have no problems with this one so far. Hopefully Samsung is getting enough returns that they found the keyboard defect. Send it back and hopefully you will get a later build model.

9. Robotica72

Robotica72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I must have had the bad luck - My 700t I sent back had very few issues with disconnects and the one they sent back (All the system was replaced and My back put on - so they said) and now I have a ton of issues. However, I did put some electrical tape on the right side in the dock and I haven't had a disconnect in 2 days ... Im hoping its not temporary.

10. v@gelis

v@gelis Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys how things going?
    Any update on disconnection matters and any solutions (like electrical tape for example)?
    I have constant disconnections with the minimum movement of the tablet when docked...

11. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

You should return your's for a replacement. The disconnects should not be happening. I"ve had mine for over a month and not experienced any disconnects. If your replacement has the same problem then return it again or just get a different tablet if you don't want to deal with the hassle. You should definitely not just settle and keep it with the problems though. It cost too much money to accept such a fundamental flaw.

12. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I did have a small problem with this for about a week but after a week of inserting and removing the tablet, it seemed to "bed in" and now it has no problems and even lifting the tablet does not disconnect it. I think they make it a little tight at first to ensure it won't be loose and this tightness actually causes the tablet to "pop out" very easily. If you have the problem, bear with it for a while and you will notice that over time it will sit in correctly and you will hear and feel a more definite "click" when you attach it. If after a week or two there is still a problem you should return it. I had th change mine...but only because I had a dead keyboard USB port.

13. gren

gren Pen Pal - Newbie

What sort of 'normal' disconnects have you guys experienced? I experience disconnects when moving the tablet around, but it reconnects afterwards. My first dock would disconnect even while sitting still. Would you consider disconnects while moving to be normal/acceptable? I've pretty much acclimated with the nuances the 700t displays but I'd still like to know (to my eventual annoyance) how your tablets behave with the dock whilst moving.

14. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

The only disconnect I am getting is when I forget and try to push the tablet back too much to get a better angle. I got my new keyboard recently (had a dead UBS slot) and new one acted exactly the same way as the first keyboard. For the first week or so it was disconnecting easily but now after docking and undocking a good number of times it is sitting ok. It does not disconnect with normal moving of the keyboard and it stays in place if I use the touch screen. If I hold it by the tablet I can move it without thinking about it but if you grab it by the keyboard and move too quickly the weight of the tablet can disconnect the keyboard. When you connect you should hear and feel a click as it connects. It won't be there with a new keyboard but after a number of docking/undockings you should feel that the connection is more secure. If you don't feel this, change the keyboard but also give it a couple of weeks to allow the connection to right itself. Dont be afraid to really push the tablet in there, it is strong enough and won't break. With the power off you could try undocking and docking 10 or 20 times and you might feel it improving and once you hear that audible "click" you might find it is more stable.

15. aceangel

aceangel Pen Pal - Newbie

You don't have to return the keyboard. This is what you do to fix the issue. I fixed my coworker's 700t tablet and my dad's 500t using this technique. Undock the keyboard from the pc and slide your hand over the keyboard pressing every key. Do this a few times. Then redock the tablet to the keyboard. Done! :)

16. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

That is a novel and unusual solution aceangel! I like it. But maybe you are referring to a different type of problem. The issue is the tablet physically coming out of the dock. Pressing a few keys on the keyboard will not solve this problem. There is no connection between the keypad and the dock. I was also checking the date but I notice it is not April 1st yet! You must be kidding! :)

17. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

If that's true, that's really weird. Why would they work? That's crazy!

18. aceangel

aceangel Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha. I don't know why it works. My coworker and my dad had an annoying problem where the ATIV when docked to the keyboard would beep from time to time. The keyboard would sometimes be unresponsive too. I asked them if the problem resurfaced and never it never did. I'd try it out first, got nothing to lose :)

19. Alikay5

Alikay5 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is all very interesting. My 700 has been back to Samsung to cure this keyboard problem for 14 days now and I got a text yesterday apologising for delay and saying Samsung is "working very hard" for a solution. On reading aceangel's post got me thinking that we are all assuming that the problem lies with the sprung terminal connection (being an obvious choice): however, what if the stresses at the joint are being transmitted to the internal connections in the keyboard easing components slightly apart and that rubbing over the keys several times resets things. Just an idle thought while waiting for the damn thing to be returned.

I also had problem with the 3g connection being very erratic and unpredictable - Samsung accept that this is a Win8 problem being worked on by Samsung and Microsoft.

Technology!

20. WCFire

WCFire Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my 700T this morning and my keyboard dock disconnects with the slightest movement. I think I'm going to stick it out for a week like Maccyb said. Does anyone know what Samsung will say if I complain about this? I really don't want to ship my computer somewhere for weeks for this.