Small tablet to run a specific application

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by SaSiNO97_, Jun 20, 2018.

1. SaSiNO97_

SaSiNO97_ Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    50 to 180 USD per piece.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    No.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Media/mobile.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    5 to 8 inches, it must be enough comfortable to hold on a hand, and interact using the other, and to type using both.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Italy.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 8 hours, with Wi-Fi on.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    I am developing an application that only takes input from the user and sends/receives small data packets to/from a central server, without any expensive operation; basically when the user performs certain actions, the machine sends small data packets to the server and when the server has updates, it notifies the machines running this app which will in turn download the data, keeping the network usage to the strict necessary. The server will be located in a local network, not on the Internet. The tablet will only run this application.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Must run UWP apps, so it must be a Windows 10 device, either Desktop or Mobile.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    See #8.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    No. Even 640x480 is OK.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Maybe. In that case I could use an anti-glare film.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Not required. Would be nice. Even without pressure sensivity and with a bad precision.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Just the minimum space to allow Windows 10 to run without slowing down, and to install my application. Micro SD slot would be nice, but not required.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    No particular input needed. Just the touch-screen and a micro-USB port.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    None.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
    - must be impact resistant enough that if it slips from the hands of the user while walking fast, its screen must not break.
    - must NOT FREEZE, its usage must be pleasant, the UI must be always responsive.

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not to be blunt, but anything sub $150 in Windows space today will be running Z8350. You need to embrace the freezes and say goodbye to UI responsiveness at all times.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. SaSiNO97_

Hello, thank you very much for your answer.
    I would like to say that the maximum price is not binding, if there is a machine that matches my description, it would be fine for it to cost even a bit more, like 250-270 USD; sure it is important for it to have a low cost so that my targets will not be discouraged, but it is more important that its lifetime is long and its responivity is good.

4. Shogmaster

I feel like I'm being trolled at this point...

You need to get into $500 range chief. .

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

@SaSiNO97_ give some recent Atom/Celeron device a try, ask friends etc - and you'll see if it suits you or not.

6. SaSiNO97_

Sorry, I am not trolling anyone sir.
    A low cost atom processor does not necessarily mean that the tablet will get frozen. I don't need a huge computational power, I just need enough power to run Windows smoothly, and not freeze during the normal usage of the said application. That application will be designed to use even less resources than Word and PowerPoint.

Thank you. I was thinking of course of an Atom device since it needs to be low cost. As for now, after reading reviews, the two options that I am considering are the NuVision 8" and the Chuwi Hi8. If someone on this forum owns one of these two PCs then I'd appreciate to hear their experience.

7. Shogmaster

That was my bad. I think I was confused that you raised only like $25 to your initial budget. Sorry to come off as dickish.

As for the CPUs, anything under U or Y series Core processors IMO are suspect. We are stuck in a world where Atom and Apollo Lake Celeron/Pentiums bench worse than top end phone processors...