Small tablet for simple sketching

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by BackFromHades, Apr 22, 2019.

1. BackFromHades

BackFromHades Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello again!
    I asked for advice here some years ago, and am now the happy owner of a Toshiba T5010, upgraded to 8 GB RAM and Windows 7. I thank everybody on the board who recommended it to me. I absolutely love my 5010 and use it for illustration, but I wouldn't mind something slimmer and more portable for when I'm on the go and cannot take my convertible with me.
    I've been searching far and wide in this forum, found some great machines which still aren't my perfect tablet (provided it does exist!), so I thought I'd best ask.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Around € 250.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Used may be tricky for tablets (especially with non-replaceable batteries), but I can consider it. Refurbished: absolutely yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Tablet.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    7-8 inches max would be great for my needs.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Italy, UK, Germany.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Strongly dislike ASUS. Quite wary about Apple.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

About 3-4 hours, of course the more the better.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing mainly, then web surfing, notetaking, ebook reading.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

I need Android, for compatibility with apps that I use regularly on my Huawei phone.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

I'm not yet familiar with drawing apps on Android, but I believe that LayerPaint HD or Infinite Painter offer what I need. The rest are just generic apps (Firefox, ColorNote, etc.) that should run on about any recent Android system.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Given the small size I require, I am not picky about screen resolution, provided it is not abysmal.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Maybe, given the portability requirements. One thing I'd absolutely LOVE is an OLED screen!!

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Pen with pressure sensitivity is absolutely required. Wacom EMR is best.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Expandable memory is always a blessing, but I can do even with 16 GB base archive size. RAM memory should be fairly high to support layered sketches, yet I understand I cannot ask for much from a smallish tablet, so let's say 2 GB.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Inputs are not a problem provided there is USB to connect the tablet to my PC for data exchange. MicroUSB and MicroSD are welcome. HDMI not needed.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

If you need a sum of what I'd love in a tablet, take the Samsung S3 or S4 and take them down to 7-8" size! Portable, with a good pressure-sensitive pen, and an AMOLED screen! <3
    I've been considering phones like the Galaxy Note, but their aspect ratio is too narrow.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

WiFi is enough for me, LTE doesn't hurt if present but it is not essential.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    paprikaleapt likes this.
  2. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

7-8 inches, wary of Apple, and wacom EMR basically means I think our friend's only hope is to wait for this device to come out:
    Samsung SM-P200/P205 (Tab A with S-Pen, 2019) (it is not out yet outside of Asia)

https://tabletmonkeys.com/samsung-g...019-sm-p200-205-pictures-and-specs-exclusive/

Isn't it great we finally have an answer to this question for people who want this type of device? We've all wanted something like this for years. Alternatively if you don't want to wait for the above Samsung tablet, there is the pricy Huawei Mate 20 X (a 7.2 inch android phone with a stylus that I hear runs out of battery often) or the ipad mini 5, which I know you're wary of Apple but is probably a pretty safe bet for the 7-8 inch stylus range.

BackFromHades likes this.
  3. BackFromHades

BackFromHades Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow! :D It looks fantastic! Of course it will be pricey as soon as it comes out, but I can wait until I find a bargain! I'm happy that a product like that is going to come out soon! Thank you!

My only regret is that it doesn't have an AMOLED screen... come on Samsung, you're one of the two OLED makers in the whole world, what would it have cost you??

Oh, yes, I'd considered the Huawei Mate 20, but beside being quite out of my budget range, it has the very narrow aspect ratio which is typical of phones, so it may be unconfortable for drawing.

4. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ab-a-with-s-pen-2019.74901/page-4#post-535015

Nnthemperor posted this:
    "Here you go. It's in the Philippines, but I'm pretty sure the e-commerce site is owned by Alibaba cos it looks very much like AliExpress.

https://s.lazada.com.ph/s.81E3"

For those who are going to try it to have it imported from the Phillippines. I'm tempted though I'm hoping this thing will start showing up in the verizon store soon so I can link it to 4G LTE right there in the store.

I'm thinking I"ll probably get this Samsung tablet (EMR, pen in silo!) and maybe also the ipad mini 5 (faster, higher res)

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's also available in Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, New Zealand and the U.K (last I checked it hadn't shown up on the Samsung page in the last two countries).
    And it's only $300 for the LTE version.

Sent from mTalk