small tablet but must have stylus and size requirements

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by wwgg, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wwgg

wwgg Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    up to $500 but would rather not pay that for something used from 2014.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    yes but only because I'm having trouble finding something new.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    tablet, b/c notebook is too large and heavy for carrying around regularly

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    doesn't matter but absolute size can't be more than 6.5" wide or 8.5" tall. Prefer under 6" and shorter than 8.5" since it would otherwise tilt and fall out of my pocket.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    none

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    7-8

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    web surfing, notetaking, word processing.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    none

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    onenote, web apps

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    no

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    no

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    none

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    no

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?

This is a requirement, must be accurate and fast responding. The black rubber nub pens don't do it for me. How are the ultra fine tip stylus compatible with the ipad mini 4?

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I don't know, but expandable memory is preferred.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    HDMI preferred but not required.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

Hi, I'm in the medical field and am looking for something that will fit in my coat pocket and can take handwritten notes, run basic windows or apple apps, wifi, surf the web, and respond quickly. I don't have time for web pages to load scripts slowly and expect to do this a lot. While I could sew in a larger pocket, running around all day with a large tablet is unwieldy and pulls on my neck. Because of this, weight and size are very important, and must also have fast and accurate stylus response. Don't care about graphics or games.

Found this forum because there's apparently a lack of 8" tablets with stylus support. The ipad mini 4 is the perfect size but it doesn't have apple stylus support, and the 9.7" ipad is just too big to fit into my pockets - it will fall out if I bend over. I'd also rather not carry something so big around all day since the weight adds up. Samsung note is too small.

Would the best solution be an ipad mini 4 with an aftermarket stylus? I also found the samsung tab a with s-pen but can't even find any used for sale. Thank you for any advice!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  2. Iwan

Iwan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

try Samsung tab a 8 inch WITH spen, careful with the same version but without spen
    , since you said need for basic task and surf, this tablet can do all thing from mail to simple Ms.excel jobs
    and add some bluetooth keyboard cover, then probably solved all your need

3. alice123sdfsfd

alice123sdfsfd Pen Pal - Newbie

Huawei Tablet M5
    Very satisfied so far!
    I was immediately surprised by the quality of the packaging, it might be an Apple product as far as I'm concerned.
    The tab feels sleek, so smooth and elegant.
    The quality of the screen is great, battery lasts forever, and, I don't know what's wrong with people that complain about not having the headphone out: the tablet comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter!
    Yes, the volume switches need a little getting used to, but overall, they work. I wish they implemented a volume control slide down like for the brightness.
    The stylus is amazing, even though it, too, needs some getting used to.

kneehowguys likes this.
  4. djas

djas Graffiti User

Stylus? Used to own a GTA8SP & GTA10SP. As far as I know, only Samsung tablets (certain models) have active digitizer Wacom EMR. And Yoga Book.

Edit:
    My bad. There is stylus support but only on the M5 Pro 10' version. Link

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  5. djas

djas Graffiti User

I agree. The GTA8SP is a fantastic, portable tablet although it is now 3 years since its released.

Or maybe the rugged Galaxy Tab Active 2? Comes with active stylus too.

Marty likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

OP sounds like a candidate for the original Samsung Galaxy Note 8, but with today's standards it is on the heavy side. Finding one in good condition will be a challenge and you'd most certainly would need to find a new battery for it and exchange it.

But if note taking is your primary need, why not check out the Galaxy Note phones. From 5 and forward it should fit your needs and if you need more computer like features the new 9 comes with DeX so you can hook it up to monitor and keyboard in a second.

WillAdams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.