Small dots all over the monitor.

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by bugmenot, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugmenot

bugmenot Pen Pal - Newbie

Good day kind tablet-using Sirs. I did a search before posting this thread, but I came up with nothing. If there's already been a thread about this, I apologize in advance, but I would really appreciate it if you would provide a link to said thread.

I very recently bought my very first tablet PC, which is obviously the TM2, as I'm posting on this subforum.

Now, this is probably (and hopefully) a really stupid question, but I am going to go ahead and ask anyway, just in case there's actually something wrong with my product:

There are small, evenly spaced almost transparent (blank, I guess) dots all over my monitor. These dots cannot be seen unless the monitor is off, or if I hold the monitor in a way such that the angle of light hitting the monitor is just perfect, and I am looking for said dots. Are these dots found on all TM2 monitors? Are these dots found on all convertible tablet monitors? Are they supposed to be there?

---

Thanks for a great site and great forums, by the way. I am in your debt.

2. mariol90

mariol90 Scribbler - Standard Member

yes. it's part of the capacitive layer of the screen (or the pen? but i'd think it's the touch). they are supposed to be there. :)

3. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

It's the touch layer. Most devices use that sort of tech for touch. Apple I think uses something different, as I cannot see them at all on Apple (I've seen them on HTC devices) Probably a patent thing.

4. r122513

r122513 Pen Pal - Newbie

mine has also that points i think it's normal

5. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

It is a net that's used to distribute the current on the whole screen for the capacitive touch to work. All capacitive touchscreens have that, HTC HD2, HTC whatever androidphone, iPhone (mostly noticeable around the edges).
    Wacom pen touch does not need a layer over the screen. Cool trick:
    You can write on the screen by pressing the tip on your finger. You can also put a bill/ticket of thermal paper on the screen, so your writing will also be found on the paper and the screen :)

6. bugmenot

bugmenot Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all your replies, guys. That was reassuring.

I'm just going to post a few more questions here instead of making new threads for every minor question I have, as I'm thinking nobody wants a lot of threads with one specific question that's answered in a few posts.

1. I have noticed that the small dot that shows where you are pointing the pen when you have the pen near the screen (not touching it) doesn't go all the way to the corners, unless I try to make it go all the way to a corner for a pretty long time. Does this just happen with me or are others experiencing this?

2. I've had some weird issues that are usually resolved by just rebooting. For example, I rebooted my TM2 twice just now before posting this post. First I had to reboot it because inverted finger touch (or something like that) suddenly activated itself (I have finger registration turned off at all times). I did not change my monitor rotation or anything like that for a long while before this happened. Then, when the PC started up again, the keyboard didn't respond, so I had to reboot again.

Point 2 activated huge red alarms in my mind. My overall experience with HP, to be honest, is that it's a bad company that releases a lot of utter garbage products that seem to work fine at first, but then they get a lot of issues gradually, but not enough to warrant a new product. Then, about 30 minutes after the warranty runs out, the product self-destructs for no apparent reason. I decided to give HP the benefit of the doubt, but somewhere deep inside I'm already starting to regret it, because I feel that my TM2 will gradually but quickly deteriorate into an unusable clump of metal and plastic, just like every other HP product I've ever been in contact with.

For both points: How likely is it that these issues are hardware issues, and how likely is it that these issues are software issues? What should I do? What can I do?

I have a HP TouchSmart tm2-2190eo (XD816EA) running Windows 7 Home Premium, pre-loaded but not fully installed upon arrival. Before you say I should do a clean install; I don't have Windows 7, and buying it is out of the question, as it costs about 60 % of the price of the TM2. Because of this, I'd appreciate it if you would focus on how to fix these problems (if they are fixable) with the means available to me.

Thanks again for a great site and forums.

7. Rossman

Rossman Pen Pal - Newbie

When you bought the TM2T, you also purchased a license to use Windows 7. If you can acquire the installation media (through any means necessary) you are within your legal right to re-install the OS using the same product key you rec'd with the laptop.

8. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

1. Because of the technology, it will be inaccurate towards the edges of the screen. I believe this is because of RF technology on the edges of the digitizer that causes this. Since most people do work in the middle area of the screen, its a little forgivable. It isn't because it's HP, it's just how the tech for activie digitizers are. I have to admit though, I had another tablet with another brand of digitizer, (not Wacom like it is on HP), and it was a lot worse. Wacom is the most accurate one I've used thus far.

2. I had that happen to me one time with the inversions, just had to restart, and it fixed it, not sure about your keyboard, sounds akward. You're right about HP's reputation, it isn't stellar, and probably is under par. But you have to remember they are the number one PC vendor, so with high numbers you'll have more customers with more problems. Also quality control is hard with higher volume output of devices.
    If you want to proceed with a clean install, you can download Windows 7 from here. It's the sister forum, and it is apparently legal. If you don't have a optical drive you can use a USB drive, just search for a tutorial on that, its faster from a USB drive. Another option is to do the minimal install from the system image. On boot just boot into the recovery, and it gives you the option to do a minimal recovery, which just has drivers install.
    The keyboard sounds really weird. Does it seem like it's loose? If you want to save yourself the headache, and just move to another brand, and money isn't an issue, I'd say Fujitsu looks pretty good. But for the affordability aspect of the tm2t, HP is really the best bang for buck convertible out there. Quality for me has been above par with this. I've owned several HP laptops, never really had a problem with them (2nd tm2t though, the first one the ATI chip burned out within a month, I don't blame HP for that though, ATi chip on my very first convertible (a gateway) died too).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. tripleqmark

tripleqmark Pen Pal - Newbie

I just wanted to add something to this. I believe these dots are made up of Indium-Tin Oxide (ITO) which is used to provide the capacitive touch capabilities of the screen. It works by using the finger as part of a circuit, so when you touch the screen, you 'complete' this circuit and a signal is sent to say that you touched the screen and also moves the cursor there.

As mentioned earlier, this is what is used in most touch enabled devices. (including Apple, I think...). The reason that dots are used instead of a whole sheet is two-fold, it is cheaper to use dots and provides almost as good touch sensitivity; and while ITO is translucent, it is not completely transparent, so using a whole sheet would slightly dim the screen.

Hopefully, some of that made sense.

10. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

First off, please bother registering to the forum. Bugmenot accounts are not really designed to post stuff.

As SDreamer already wrote, it's normal. One small correction: it's not because of RF but because of EMR :)

I don't quite get your second problem with the touch. Sometimes when you rotate the screen the touch doesn't follow it's rotation, so things work upside down. It happens rarely and one restart fixes it.

If you think about HP like this, just return it and get a lenovo. Nothing can fix a brand-phobia.

Where did you get your tm2 for 170$?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.