Slow Internet Explorer 7 startup on ThinkPad X61

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by krypticide, Aug 28, 2007.

1. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently noticed a problem with IE7 starting up quite slowly on my X61. The window itself came up quickly, but the window showed "Connecting…" status for maybe 5 seconds, before finally reverting to my default page (about:blank). Additional windows or tabs also exhibited this delay. Some searching on the net showed that one person's IE7 was looking for bookmarks on a network location, but alas that wasn't my same problem.

I finally determined (using Microsoft's Filemon utility) that IE7 was polling the ThinkPad Client Security directories every time it started up. On a hunch, I disabled the add-ons for ThinkPad Password Manager and CPwmIEBrowserHelper Object. Just go to Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons and then disable those two options. You cannot just disable ThinkPad Password Manager, as that didn't solve the problem. I found out that CPwmIEBrowserHelper belonged to Lenovo after enabling the Publisher column.

See Software under my X61 review for a screenshot.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Good call krypticide.
    I'm sure that will save someone a lot less stress. :)

3. jimmyinthecity

jimmyinthecity Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow. This is the exact issue I was having with my new Thinkpad T61. I happened to stumble across your posting and it resolved it immediately.

Thank you! Thank you!

-Jimmy

4. RobotsAnger

RobotsAnger Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool thanks! Since I normally use Firefox, I wasn't even aware I had this problem till you brought it up.

5. starmoon1956

starmoon1956 Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear krypticide,

Great Article. QUESTION PLEASE: I am trying to find the latest (at least rev 6 or higher) of Internet Explorer, that will run ok on my IBM X-40 NotePad. It came with version 5.2 for notepads, and I want to run a version that contains "TABBED BROWSER", but want conflict with other issues. IS there a version that has the "TABBED BROWSER" (I know at least IE 7 does), that will work with "NOTEPADS" " ThinkPad X-40, 1.5 gig/1.5 ram" ?

Any help appricated.

Thanks,

Best,

Starmoon1956

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And why don't you just use Internet Explorer 7 which supports tabbed browsing? Just run windows update and there you can install it.

But you can also use Opera 9.5 which also supports tabbed browsing or Firefox 3 which also supports tabbed browsing.

But what do you mean with support for "Notepad". Do you mean that you search for a browser which supports the Tablet Input Panel, so that you can enter text in slate mode without problems?
    If you mean this, then you can use any of the above mentioned browsers. IE and Opera support it natively, for Firefox you'll need the Gesso extension

So you can take the browser you prefer. Both Firefox and Opera are better than IE, Opera is a bit faster and lighter than Firefox, Firefox has a larger community and more Add-Ons or extensions, but you'll need to install some of these extensions to get some features Opera has already implemented.

7. eddie4sale

eddie4sale Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks a bunch!!!

i actually primarily use Firefox, but i occasionally use IE for formatting