Slow Inking with Toshiba Portege WT310/Z10T

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by DRTigerlilly, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MightyMauz

MightyMauz laptop collector

I am in the same position as you are. Pretty much office 2016 and xodo. I downloaded the latest Windows 10 build from MS, backed up my stuff and then reinstalled.
    I had to get it fixed fast, because I plan on using it for the upcoming semester, starting on Monday.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I TELL LIES!!!, I have more installed... 7-zip, Everything Search, Chrome & OneDrive....something tells me OneDrive is the culprit. I am currently doing a reset and will lose the last update.

So post reset I'm back to Version 1703 build 15603.0 and inking is back to it's lovely buttery self!

I haven't installed anything yet though...maybe I won't....just using OneNote UWP.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. MightyMauz

MightyMauz laptop collector

Same here, and I have put everything back. Office, Xodo, Edge and all plugins, Adobe Reader, Dropbox and OneDrive. No problems so far.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

For what it's worth, I am running 1709 (aka, "Build 16299") and have for several months and - please don't hate me - inking and everything else is running buttery smooth and lightning quick. I don't use Xodo, but One Note 2016 is smooth and lag free. I would be happy to make my system image or anything else available if that would be helpful and if someone could direct me as to how to do that (I would think I would upload to a shareable space on Google Drive, One Drive or some other cloud app). Please advise if I can be of any help. I must have some kind of halo over this Z20t-B.

DRTigerlilly and thatcomicsguy like this.
  5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Just a quick aside, the relevance of which to this thread is just "a tale of two devices/OS's" My wife gave me a Chromebook (Samsung Chromebook Pro) for Christmas and, while there are certainly limitations on what it can do compared to a Windows computer, it is a joy to have a device that opens up and starts in 1 second, has the fastest, smoothest U/I I have ever experienced (ie, compared to using Chrome on any Windows device) and the inking, with Wacom EMR S-Pen (or any EMR stylus) is as good as on any convertible Windows machine I have ever used. Now, that is not the case using the gimped One Note from the Google Play Store (ie, Android version), which has limits on note taking functionality and does have a slight but noticeable (read: annoying) lag. But in general I've found that I always grab for the CBP when I want to do anything on the Web, when I want to take handwritten notes on the fly on one of its native or Android apps that do work perfectly (sometimes for x-fer later to One Note Windows) and increasingly for creating documents in Word (the Android version works perfectly - with limitations that I don't need - on CB) or spreadsheets in Excel (ditto). It's kind of like, having the ability to get work done while on "vacation" from the travails of Windows 10. Just thought I'd pass that along because I spend less time by an order of magnitude on "maintenance" and have zero freezes, slow-downs, fails, etc and it literally seems to have lowered my blood pressure a good measure. In fact, now when I need to use one of my windows convertibles I find myself cringing at the thought, then while waiting the 15-20 seconds for it to boot up, silently praying that everything will run smoothly, as if I've become conditioned to expect problems. Maybe that's just me and maybe my limited technical acuity causes me to have more difficulty with basic maintenance/corrective activities, but if this has any appeal to you and you have access to a vendor that allows you to return a device within 30 days I would encourage you to try one out and just experience what I'm describing and see if it doesn't have a place in your [budget and] device garage.

I guess what I'm saying is that Windows and Windows OEMs put us through so much hell and it can be nice to have a $449 convertible/2-in-1 computer with a phenomenal screen (12.3", 3x2, 2400x1800, 400 nit) Wacom EMR, 8 hr battery life, seamless OS updates in background, no malware threats plus effortless setup on any and every CB simply by connecting to your Google acct. I'd say it's perfect for about 80% of the work I do but that percentage is increasing as I discover more Android apps that, while less powerful than their Windows equivalents, turn out to be fine for what I need to do (eg, 1)PDF creation, editing, annotating; 2) photo editing of the type I do 90%+ of the time.)

As platforms like Windows on ARM start to hit the market (at a much higher price than even good Chromebooks) I think the whole concept of an adjunct device, good enough for the vast majority of things we need to do but amazingly superior in "livability" and efficiency to any Windows 10 device thus far will come into its own.

Of course, there is one alternative, that I think would resolve 90% of the problems we encounter with Windows today: roll back to Windows 7!!! (What a great, great OS that was; for 6 years we didn't have to talk about problems with updates, drivers, slow-downs, freezes, BSOTs, etc!)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    DRTigerlilly likes this.