Slow Inking with Toshiba Portege WT310/Z10T

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by DRTigerlilly, Jan 17, 2018.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

For the past two days I've been experiencing painfully slow inking with the device in both Onenote & Xodo.

I know that I'd previously changed power settings to improve battery life, but this is even occurring when the device is set to high performance.

Went into power settings to check the settings, and noticed that the Maximum Processor Frequency is set to 0Mhz both for on battery and plugged in, which apparently means unrestricted and should allow it to go as high as possible, but am still finding inking particularly painful.

EDIT: Maximum Processor State is set to 100% for both battery & plugged in states.

Any suggestions as to what else I can try to remedy this. I only have Xodo running at the moment.

2. MightyMauz

MightyMauz laptop collector

I have the same on my Z20t! Sometimes I have to wait minutes for the slowness to go away! For me it hasn't even anything to do with inking. Just random. I was thinking it has to do with the Spectre/Meltdown updates.
    But the strange think is that I do not see any CPU increase or whatever. But the mouse is even slow.

Also typing a post here, I see the cursor lagging

3. DRTigerlilly

You're right that everything is slow. It's like i click on something and it takes a second to think....rather frustrating

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Which Windows build are you guys working on?

Processor speed, while an intuitively appealing explanation, has likely nothing to do with lag. I've had Tablet PCs with much older, much slower CPUs which had flawless pen response. So I'd guess these current problems have to do with driver/OS issues.

The Win10 build I have running is 1703. I used this method to update individual vulnerability fixes while keeping the OS locked in a condition which isn't broken, (by disabling the Windows Update Service).

My advice is to roll back to a system state where everything works correctly, and only allow updates if/when others report that everything is A-OKAY.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. MightyMauz

I am working on Windows 10 and cannot go back. My system restore was off and I have tried to uninstall the latest windows update. But once in safe mode, and looking at the updates I could uninstall, I had only 5 (!) updates, of which the last one was about a month ago. I am sure there was an update a few days ago (and not just antivirus definitions), but I cannot uninstall it.

I think I found the problem though, but not a real solution yet. I noticed in the task manager that GPU 3D is constantly going to 100%. An update must have messed up the interaction with the graphics driver. What I have done is changed my GPU settings in the power menu from "balanced" to "maximum performance". The sluggishness is not completely gone, but the system is workable now.

6. DRTigerlilly

Version 1703 Build 15063.877 running here

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mine is build 15063.850 (I was mis-using the word "build" in my last post.)

I recently got a spare SSD plus external enclosure and cloned my OS. -With a sigh of relief, I might add. Now I can easily return to factory base if I mess something up. I'd recommend this move to anybody with a machine they depend on.

I wonder.., can people download images of particular versions/builds? It seems like the sort of thing one should be able to do.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. MightyMauz

Version 1709 build 16199.192 is crawling here...

9. MightyMauz

I brought out the big guns: a clean install. Everything seems to be working buttery smooth now!
    Maybe I will find the culprit when installing all my programs. If so, I will let you know.

10. DRTigerlilly

I willl try the reinstall, but all I have installed is office 2016, word/powerpoint/excel/onenote & xodo.

Are you still running the same build?