Slate Will Not Charge - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by dom_mitchell1, Jun 23, 2012.

1. dom_mitchell1

dom_mitchell1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, first post here hough I've been following for a while...

I don't seem to be able to find an answer to this one...

My Slate 500 will no longer charge, either through the dock or direct with the power cable. I've tried it with two different docks and power cables so I am conviced the problem must lie with the Slate.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a way to fix it?

I'm thinking worst case scenario I will look to pull the SSD out as it has all of my honeymoon pictures trapped on it! IF I go this route, will the SDD be simple to mount in an external housing and copy the data off?

Thanks in advance for any help people can offer!

2. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

dom: Can you tell us a bit more about what events lead up this? Has the Slate been in daily use, or was it recently unused, that sort of thing. When trying the dock, does the LED on the front come on / change color? What about the LED next to the power switch on the Slate...?

3. dom_mitchell1

Hi Steve:
    I use the Slate every day at work and never had a any problems with it at all. Just one day I noticed it wasn't charging. Now the battery has run down and I have no way of getting it back on again.

The both the light on the dock and on the Slate don't come on when plugged in. It was the lack of orange light on the dock one evening that alerted me to the problem.

It sounds like a problem with something on the inside of the Slate - the charging connector but it could be batter related I guess.

Anyone else had anything similar?

4. Steve S

<<...The both the light on the dock and on the Slate don't come on when plugged in...>>

...Let's focus on the dock for a moment. When you plug in your AC adapter and connect it to the dock, does the LED on the dock light up, white?

You said that you tried two adapters and docks. Same question about the other one.

Finally, have you been trying all this on the same AC outlet, or more than one AC outlet?

5. dom_mitchell1

I've tried both cables and both docks and no light comes on with either of them, in any combination. No white, no orange.

I've tried this at both work and and home using different power outlets.

6. Steve S

<<...no light comes on with either of them, in any combination. No white, no orange...>>

...So the conclusion is that either both AC adapters are defective, or both docks, or all four units! That seems improbable.

<<...My Slate 500 will no longer charge, either through the dock or direct with the power cable...>>

...If this statement is also true, and you have tried various AC sockets not on the same household circuit, then the inevitable conclusion is that both AC adapters have failed! Still kind of improbable. Can you think of any reason (lightning storm, for example) why both adapters might have failed...???