slate vs tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JeffB, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffB

JeffB Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that the Fuj T4020D is the best tablet for me. It offers everything I want, but wieght. I'm use to carrying a 3 lbs Dell Lattitude and the Fuj is 4.6 lbs without the extra battery.

Now I'm thinking maybe a slate, however I'm nervous about not having a key board at my disposal. I've been a traditionalist forever, but I think I will love the handwriting functionality.

Do you think it is worthwhile jumping into a slate before testing the waters with a tablet?

Note, this will be my only PC, so I will be using it every day....mostly ms office applications, e-mail and internet. My time is 50% in the office (doc - monitor/keyboard) and 50% travel, which is why the weight is a major concern for me.

Thanks for the guidance.

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

My opinion, stick with having a keyboard at your disposal. You can of course use an external keyboard with the slates however this is one more thing to carry around and frankly doesn't tend to integrate well with the slate (think packing a carry on), however that doesn't mean it won't work for you. Unless you are really going to need 4+ hours of life the T4020 should be fine by itself otherwise, you will need the second battery.

The HP TC1100 is light and can be used as a convertible as it has a keyboard, however the keyboard can be removed and you have a slate. The only downsides are it is a older model (though the processor seems to have been updated), it has a 10.4" screen, no built-in optical drive, and I'm uncertain about battery life but I suspect it won't get much more then 4 hours on a charge. If those aren't critical limitations it may be something to look at.

3. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ok if you need a keyboard a lot, get a convertible. if you don't or you are an artist, get a slate. it's as simple as that for me

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I went ahead with the Fujitsu Sylistic slate....and absolutely love it. I thought I would miss not have the keyboard at my disposal....but for what I use it for.....note taking in class...that are scientific and mathematical based....I definately do not need to be toting a keyboard with me. The fujitsu wireless little keyboard that came with my slate though is extremely light and in my opinion doesn't not add any "tote" weight. I do not notice a difference with it in my case or not. The view angle on the Fujitsu is great so that you don't need to have the tablet tilted to view while typing. I used the keyboard in class for the first time the other day during a "lecture" day and found it great. I really like the flexibiliy. Your pen is your mouse so you don't need to worry about that.

That is the opinion from someone with a slate! :) oh and the slate gets a great battery life... 4+ hours :) Also, when carrying it, or holding it....my arm hasn't gotten tired yet!

5. JeffB

JeffB Pen Pal - Newbie

All, thanks for the responses they are very helpful.

Sassafras and for anyone who's made the move from a PC to a slate or Tablet maybe you can help me with a few questions:
    1) I'll be taking meeting notes 20% of the time
    2) Writing e-mails, outlook functions and internet surfing 50% of the time
    3) viewing pdf, ppt and excel workbooks 25%
    4) Working in Access 5-10% of the time
    Never working with a slate or Tablet before, when do you think I will need a key board?

At the office I plan to hook a slate or tablet up to my monitor and keyboard.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    jeff

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

Sassafras: What I meant by "tote" wasn't really the weight, but I have seen a couple of slates where the keyboard and slate didn't pack well together. So you needed a case for each or their knocking around, etc. If the keyboard came with yours I'll assume it fits better. Also, how do you like using the pen as a mouse when in keyboard mode, I tried it for a while and am really to attached to having a trackpad/trackpoint.

JeffB: It will be really hard for anyone else to tell you what will work best for you. However, my experience has been this: If you are taking handwritten notes and intend on leaving them that way the pen only entry method may work fine. However, for me at least, most of the documents I create have to be distributed and therefore be in text form. I find I can type them much faster then using the pen for entry and converting to text.

Heres my stab:
    1) I'll be taking meeting notes
    Winner: Slate due to weight. CAUTION: If converting the handwritten notes to text may take you extra time.

2a) Writing e-mails, outlook functions
    Winner: Convertible. For me there is no quicker means to input text data then a keyboard.

2b) internet surfing
    Winner: Slate. Weight again plays a factor here. One word of caution, no matter which option you choose, slate or convertible the higher the resolution the better. Most websites are designed to use 800x600 resolution and scroll up and down. If your display is 768x1024 (when in tablet mode) you will be scrolling up and down less but will be scrolling left and right.

3) viewing pdf, ppt and excel workbooks
    Winner: Tie. Again there is the slate weight issue, but excel workbooks are usually wide. It would benefit you to have your convertible/slate in landscape not portrait. This makes a tablet less comfortable to hold. Let me say though that either option ROCKS when viewing PDF files.

4) Working in Access 5-10% of the time
    Winner: Convertible. Keyboard and pointing device will be the big help here.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting.

7. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

Darin....my keyboard does not attach so carrying it around with my slate BY THEMSELVES would not be an option for me. If I am carrying my bag...I'll I have the keyboard in there. As for using the pen as a mouse...yeah I like having a real mouse....but I've never been a fan of track pads/trackpoint. My trackpads always get in the way of when I type. :)

JeffB, I think Darin hit all your questions on the nail. I would have to agree, though I am new to the slate and haven't mastered surfing...I am googling alot, typing in specific addresses....so in that I would like a keyboard...but I am becoming a lot more efficient with the pen...heck...its only been a month...there's going to be some transition time! :) I personally do not have to convert my notes to text at all so I definately prefer the slate, but if I did...I would have chosen a convertible I am sure.

8. JeffB

JeffB Pen Pal - Newbie

Darin and Sassafras,

Thank you both very much for your comments. I'm sold I will place my order on Monday.

This site is fantastic!

I'll let everyone know how I feel after receiving the Tablet.

Jeff

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

But wait, you've left us in suspense! What model will you be getting?

10. JeffB

JeffB Pen Pal - Newbie

T4020 or T4020D...I need to understand the differences. I'm sure the Fuj salesperson will know. I'll also compare them to Portableone.com
    Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.