Slate tablet needed, where in Europe to find

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by louiskaa, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. louiskaa

louiskaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, what I'm really looking for is ebay, but for Europe (Not ebay.uk, it's too small). Is there something like that out there? Or maybe a pricesite for the whole European tablet market.
    I bought my present tablet, a Fujitsu Stylistic 3500s, on ebay while living
    in the US. It's a nice machine, but I would like to use it as my main computer and with linux. It runs win2000 decently, but it is old.
    I live in Denmark, where laptops are cheap-ish, but slate tablets are a rarity, so prices are high and there's no used market. I tried searching for both danish and european sites, but no luck.
    This is my "dream" machine. Compromise is the name of the game when it comes to technology though, so less would be interesting as well.

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    2000 euro, preferably less, as always, I guess

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Slate

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

* Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    Max 1-1.3 kilo.

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Anywhere in Europe.

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    Lots. I'm willing to forgo optical drive for long lasting power.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Main pc, so a big harddrive would be nice. I don't need a dvd-drive, just usb.
    I like lounging around, a slate pc is good for lounging.
    What I really want is a very small pc, less than 1 kilo, which connects wirelessly with a 12 inch touchscreen. That way the weight in your hands would be less and you could then also use it for hiking, as a map/gps. You could hook it up to a flatscreen tv and also you could add an e-ink screen. It seems the screen itself can already be made flexible. Add bluetooth or similar
    to that and you'd have a very light e-book with somewhat larger cpu. Anyway thats what I want.

I'll settle for light, long lived, durable maybe upgradable.
    Don't need so much cpu neither. The stylistic 3500 boasts a rip-roaring Intel Cel 500 Mhz processor, runs win2000 and is decent. I would like to use G Earth, the 3500's resolution is too small, alas.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    I'm gonna try and go for Linux this time. The 3500 is unfortunatly to ancient to boot up on usb and network install seems a little to complex for me. Win2000 with firefox is pretty good though.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Firefox, Itunes, Divx, OpenOffice, Google Earth, or like programs. Later maybe videoediting

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    If it can, great, but not important.

2. What resolution do you prefer?

* XGA - 1024x768
    Good enough for G Earth. Better would be cool too (it is adjustable, no?).

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    In/Out
    4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Either, but if active, then easily replaceble digitizers would be a requirement. Travel a lot, somewhat forgetful.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    At least 80gb, but preferably more. Upgradability is a plus.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    No. Why would you need one? As long as it's bootable with a usb drive, reliably so, that's all I need.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    Would be darn nice. If the battery can be switched to a longer lasting one, that would be nice too.

Thank you for any info, it will be appreciated.
    I tend to live a minimalistic lifestyle with lots of moving. Poor mans way to travel, go someplace, get a job, a houseshare, experience, repeat after 6-9 months. A light slate tablet would make me more independent. Now if we only could get wifi everywhere.
    Maybe just put the e-ink screen on the other side of the slate. Another good idea..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.