Slate in Church

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by revmike, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I've started taking my slate to church a few weeks ago. I'm an associate Minister. Today my Pastor mentioned my slate in the middle of his sermon only he called it an ipad. Before stopping to think, I blurred out that it was a tablet pc and not a toy. That got a laugh from him and the rest of the conregation. After church, I took questions about my slate and what it can do, not only from my pastor, but from other members as well. I really don't have anything against the ipad, what it can does meet what I need to accomplish, with the same ease as my slate. I have friends and family that have ipads, so I've been exposed to them.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Great story.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Awesome. Our new war cry:

"It's not a toy!"

4. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How nice of you to defend us all! If they only knew what this tablet is all about.
    What did they all ask about the slate?

Strauss is enjoying his S7S slate, too. I wish HP hears our prayers-- a slate with wacom and better processor like the S7S but with a from factor same as our slate 500! AMEN!!
    May the lord have mercy on us for putting up with Ntrig!

5. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

Great story.. I have several good ones, but probably should keep those to myself.

Rick

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

When I first bought my HP TC1100 and started using it about 5 vears ago I thought of all sorts of ways it would make things easier for other people. One day I was watching my pastor read his notes from a 3x5 card while he was speaking. Afterwards I talked with him about using a TabletPC instead of his 3x5 card. I could see him typing up his notes on a desktop and then scribbling bullet points on a 3x5 for his sermon.

I was surpirsed when he told me he already had two TabletPC's! The only reason he did not use them in church was because they were too heavy.

A lot has changed in 5 years and a nice 10.1" 16:10 slate would work out real nice for him! LOL....

7. stevedebi

stevedebi Pen Pal - Newbie

olivetree.com now supports the Windows 7 platform. I've recently installed their Biblereader software so I can use it either on my phone or my Slate.

8. revmike

One person who thought it was an ipad, had wondered why mine worked and hers did not in using a Bible program? Apparently her Bible app required internet access, which was not available. I showed her the two Bible programs that I use, e-sword and berbible. My Pastor wanted to see the Bibles that I used and how I took notes during his sermon. I showed him the keyboard and showed how I used hand writing recognition to write my notes. Most wanted to know if it was windows 7 or another os.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Do you enter your notes in print from the handwriting recognition program or, like me, do you make handwritten notes directly into the document using a third party program like PDF Annotator. Although I do it with legal documents, my clients and opposing counsel are always amazed that I can produce handwritten notes on draft documents that they supply.

(off topic alert:cool:)

BTW, how lucky you are to have a pastor who puts enough effort into his sermon that you feel the need to take notes. The sermon is becoming a lost art.

10. revmike

I just use wordpad for my notes along with the recognition software. I use wordpad because it's easy to switch back and forth between BerBible and wordpad.