Slate Docking: Screen becomes flickery static

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by jaydoc05, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaydoc05

jaydoc05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys:

Day two into my new Slate. So far love it.

This has happened twice:
    When docking the slate (screen on). the screen becomes flickering with several lines of color and nothing can be seen on the screen any more.

Only a hard boot (recycle with power button hold), got me out of it.

Other times, docking with screen on has created no problem.

Anyone else have this happen too?

Is is software because the dock has an HMDI out?
    I hope it is not hardware.

2. sleepingsheep

sleepingsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

I just noticed the screen flicker yesterday.

No color issues.. just a quick "off/on" of the screen, as quick as a blink. it happened on dock, while on "High Performance" power setting.

testing again today.

3. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

This happens to me now and again also (maybe 5 times in 2 weeks). I usually just take it out of the dock, put it to sleep, and wake it back up.
    Then I can put it back in the dock without a problem.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Anyone else have this happen too?..>>

...In the instructions, it clearly recommends that you shut down before inserting or removing the S7S from the dock.

Many of us don't bother, but we also recognize that we're running a risk when we do this...

5. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been pulling it in and out of the dock for 2 months, usually with dual screens running, and haven't had any problems.... except.... I did have the multi-colored screen flicker once last week. Only one time, but it was unusual. Now I try to close or minimize the 2nd screen before I pull it out. If I have time, I'll hit the power button and go into sleep mode. Overall, the S7S is really great in and out of the dock. My wife has an Asus UX21 ultrabook and just plugging or unplugging the charger kicks it right out of windown and it has to restart almost every time.

6. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

I've only had it happen to me once while hot-swapping. Figured it was because maybe I did it crooked, so I started lining up the slate with the dock before connecting it swiftly. No problems since then (Nov 2011).

7. Whippler

Whippler Pen Pal - Newbie

started happening for me constantly if i removed the slate from the dock askew. @ some point it just happened on its own when watching video, then i couldn't get it to show anything, in boot i might have seen bios menu but it immediately went to colorful stripes, sometimes the screen worked for a while. but then the screen didn't even turn on, on boot. Figured might be the heating issue i saw here on these forums that causes the screen to fail. My slate is under repair atm. because of this.

8. Whippler

Whippler Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my slate back, repair went under warranty. They replaced motherboard, and back plate. The new back plate doesn't have any markings on it other than "SAMSUNG" in the middle, no serial-number no nothing, not even the little mark by the battery emergency hole. from now on, i will be putting my slate to sleep when ever i place/remove it from the dock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.