Slate Conversions for Convertible Tablet PC's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Agent 9, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, so after a few weeks of playing with the M4 I finally brought myself to rip it apart! it is now in pieces on my floor as I decide how to go about chopping off the dock connector, PC card slot, and Wi-Fi slot (they are all too big, and useless!)

I will hopefully get a better feel for what I can do with it all now that it is in this state, and with any luck I'll have it mostly finished by the end of next week

Some figures for weight of parts (in grams):
    550g -Screen
    366g -Motherboard
    320g -standard battery (about 50% dead)
    36g -VGA/ usb board
    25g -CPU fan
    24g -pen and housing
    11g -speakers
    67g -Crucial M4 SSD
    + metal for housing + usb game pad + handle and hardware

1,131g :eek: -piece of glass I was thinking about using (14.25"x12.75"x0.15")

*for reference* 179g -original screen front

so at best about 2900g+ or 6.39Lbs+... I'm may to have to consider a different piece of glass to use *sigh*

well the point of this wasn't to reduce weight, but to have a form factor that is more easily used for art (a completely flush surface -being a single piece of glass- allows for completely unhindered hand movement; then there is the fact that it is a piece of art in-and-of-itself being a unique and a cool Tablet PC to own and use)

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

All torn into pieces? Wow. That actually makes a part of me want to cry.

But it's also exciting!

I'm pretty jazzed to see what you put back together. What a great project! :)

3. Agent 9

Update! a good one too :)

After completely taking it apart, I have been fiddling with it all to see if my plans could actually be carried out, and preliminary testing seems really promising (no need for further shielding based on early testing -the only thing that interfered with the Wacom digitizer was the CCFL converter, and that only happened when it did not sit evenly with the screen), below are shots of it working perfectly fine spread apart:
    [​IMG]
    and with the screen sitting directly on top of the motherboard (only shielded by a thin layer of plastic -to keep it from shorting out)
    [​IMG]

Now I need to build the button panel for the left side, solder that up to the gamepad's board, then I can cut and form the rest of the casing and have it nearly completed :)

4. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Very cool project. I look forward to your updates.

5. Aicent

Aicent Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow this is envy inspiring !Congratulations on your work so far and I will DEFINETLY be sticking around to see progress.

6. Liberty

Liberty Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks great!

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Great project! Makes me feel ashamed of the 2 hours I spent trying to solder my earphones. Geez!

8. Agent 9

Here is a bit of an update:
    Since the last time I posted in this thread I have had the M4 apart, but with foam spacers glued around so that I was able to sit it on a table and have a piece of glass resting on it and with it all being usable as a sort of table top device; I then worked on modifying the case so it would all fit together; I also bought one of the "slim bay batteries" made for the M4 and it seems to be good as it does give ~2hrs of use and for $18 thats not bad at all.

Here are some quick pictures of it:
    [​IMG]
    basically I cut away the palmrest section and left the rest so the motherboard and other parts could be secured down
    [​IMG]
    I got this as it would better fit in a thin custom made case if I ever got around to it; plus the main battery I had was worthless and was too bulky for parts to fit together nicely
    [​IMG]

I have come up with other plans besides the slate conversion so I may use this M4 for that, or simply finish the conversion and use something else in my other plans; at this point I don't know which way I'll go with it, hence the "in purgatory" description in my sig :)

9. stumms

stumms Pen Pal - Newbie

very cool some other tablets to mod a touchscreen over..

HP 2730 good graphics good battery
    Fujitsu 5112 very thin has 12.1 screen good battery life
    Motion 1700 thin tablet good battery higher resolution
    hp mini 311 would require a diy mod of flipping screen over keyboard but has nvidia ion and hdmi..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.