Slate 500 finally bit the dust.

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Bronsky, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My youngest child (still highschool age) inherited the Slate 500. By the time she got it, the battery was under 30% maximum charge from new. The atom was slow as ever and we still had W7 as the OS. Still, she has an I3, 11.6" notebook and used the Slate mainly for drawing with a newer N-Trig pen. She could only use it for a short time before it had to be plugged in again, so it was not very portable. When idle, it sat in its cradle. Well, it was knocked over the other day on her desk, fell to the floor and the display cracked in a couple of places. Morte!:cool: The slate reintroduced me to mobile computing (other than ultralight notebooks that is) and served me quite well for the 2.2 years that I used it everyday in my job. Rest easy compadre!

Rick, leadlong1422 and Mesosphere like this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

We the early adopters of the HP Slate 500 will now observe a moment of silence for our recently departed friendly piece of technology that all New 8" Slates owe a debt of gratitude....

3. racerjim

racerjim Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine still serves as a device to serve up internet music and the occasional video in my home office. Doesn't leave its cradle often, but nice to know I have a backup if my current device (HP Spectre 13t-3000 ultrabook) screws the pooch

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

R.I.P. Slate 500.

Bronsky and leadlong1422 like this.
  5. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't use my slate 500 much. It usually rests in the cradle peacefully.
    Not sure what to do with it. I love it's form factor.
    I don't believe in unnecessary euthanasia either.
    I may mummify it for a "back to the future" episode/moment.

6. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe donate it to a needy artist? I know a couple financially strapped artists online who are currently making do with drawing with a mouse (!) and drawing with a capacitive stylus. Surely there's some local artist who would appreciate it.

7. gurugopal

gurugopal Pen Pal - Newbie

Today, I installed windows 10 on this slate. I got only 3 driver problems after installation. 1. GMA 500 I could able to success with latest intel win7 download and installed with compatibility mode. 2 N-trig, I could able to get success with installing windows 8 drivers. 3. Media .... old drivers comes with HP Slate perfectly fit. After installation it eat away 10 gb HDD and runs well. I can dare to say it is well than windows7 in terms of cpu usage, speed, battery life.