sketchbook vs artrange

Discussion in 'Software' started by berky93, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berky93

berky93 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm wondering, specifically functionality-wise (not counting the price) which program do you think is better? ArtRange or Sketchbook?

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I tried sketchbook pro and can say its a very nice piece of software. Mind you i am just a doodler. Here is a trial for Autodesk SketchBook Pro 2009 R1 for Windows. Try it out, i highly recommend it.

I cannot comment which is better, as i have only tried one and am not a artist.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'm not an artist either, but I've tried both. The paintbrush in Artrage are unmatched in Sketchbook. If you actually want to sketch, then Sketchbook is far and away better. Actually, ArtRage has a problem when you try drawing small circles. I suppose the problem could actually be related to my tablet, but I can't duplicate the problem in other programs.

Sketchbook makes working with layers very easy. It's also more stable.

I've also tried TwistedBrush. I prefer Sketchbook for sketching.

Something else may be better for painting. It really depends what you want to do. Do you know what you want to do?

4. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

I own both and I much prefer Sketchbook Pro

5. berky93

berky93 Pen Pal - Newbie

ok I'm going to try sketchbook pro - I already have the demo for artrange, so I will try sketchbook and see how it goes. I DO want to focus on drawing more than painting, so I'll get the sketchbook demo from autodesk.

6. berky93

berky93 Pen Pal - Newbie

ok I tried sketchbook, and I have to say I didn't like it as much. it was easy to use, but all of the tools are so basic and unrealistic. the paint tool is basically just a big circular brush like you'd find in photoshop, and the pencil tool is basically the same thing but smaller and with pressure sensitivity. images look very basic and computer-generated, and if I wanted that look I could draw in photoshop.

of course, its still a great piece of software. very easy to use with a tablet, and intuitive controls such as the little magnifier window you drag your brush in to change the size.

7. frog

I think ArtRage's biggest weakness is that you can't create custom brushes, you're stuck with the presets and their limited settings.

Sketchbook Pro gives you more control over the creation and settings of your own brushes, so if there's a specific look you want it's easier to create. For instance I created a nice inking brush:

[​IMG]

What ArtRage does do better is mimicking natural media and especially the nice textured pencil. However the other tools aren't as satisfying to me in actual use, the paint engine is like using an oily rag and too hard to control.

The rulers in ArtRage are good, and although SBP also has a ruler now in ArtRage you can have multiple rulers which is pretty useful for setting up two-point perspective, you can lock one ruler to each vanishing point, like this:

[​IMG]

This way when you move the unlocked end of either ruler it always conforms to the perspective, which is very useful.

Nonetheless I would say overall SBP is still the better package, it's totally focused on giving you the best and fastest workflow, and it has better inter-operability with Photoshop. The tools might not have the same natural media feel, but they work very well and have a lot of flexibility.

This one is done in Sketchbook.

[​IMG]

8. balistic

balistic wacom jock

ArtRage has always felt clumsy to me because of how it doesn't draw the last segment of a stroke until you life the stylus off the screen. It makes it maddening to try to draw with any kind of precision, at least for me.

Sketchbook Pro has, by miles, the best feeling sketch tools out there.

And I'm pleasantly surprised that Autodesk seems to be steadily decreasing the price of it, too.

9. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

10. frog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.