Sketchbook now Free!

Discussion in 'Software' started by bloodycape, Jun 20, 2018.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It looks like all the versions(including desktop) of Sketchbook are now free, which is good news. But, a part of me thinks maybe it's getting EOL or replaced. https://sketchbook.com/

ATIVQ and JoeS like this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Replaced with Sketchbook Designer would be interesting --- need a vector tool to replace Freehand.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just loaded it up.

7 Days free. Then you have to set up an account. Also free.

For now...

Seems like a way to get people hooked before they hit you with a subscription offer.

My bet is that they'll wait until school starts and offer a student package with extra frills and instant messaging with funky doo-dads and such. And that it'll cost... $7.99 USD per month.

ORRRR...

They're playing the long game. Free for students, train the next generation of professionals on Sketchbook, and then charge for a corporate license.

Place yer bets!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was being charged for for a long while, and they made a big deal about announcing that the perpetual licensed version was going away, giving people one last chance to get it before having only the monthly license option.

I suspect that they've decided that it's not bringing enough revenue to justify charging, but it is valuable as a brand / advertising point, and is bundled w/ their other products, so worth keeping and continuing to at least maintain.