Sketchable now has layers and lots of new enhancements!

Discussion in 'Artists' started by adrians, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

A new release of this app includes layers, and a whole bunch of new features. Check it out - this app really shines because it uses GPU acceleration and it's so snappy. I'm not affiliated with Silicon Benders, btw - just spamming here and the other Surface hangouts cause this is a really cool, overlooked app.

It really bothers me that this program doesn't appear under the Digital Artist collection in the MS store for some SP3 users (like me, for example) meaning that it's not getting as much exposure as it should. You have to search for "Sketchable" to find it. The author says that he sees it in this collection using his SP3, but says that depending on locale, it might be hidden from certain users.

jaekqubp likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Quite nice, but a $12 upgrade to add layers seems a bit much. Minor thing, even if you turn of painting with touch, single finger panning doesn't work. Seems easy to fix.

jaekqubp likes this.
  3. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

The price has been $12 for the full app from the beginning, I believe. The free version only includes a couple of tools (and maybe some previews of the others). I bought it right from the start when I saw how smoothly it worked, and don't regret it. BTW, the latest changes include quite a lot more than the layers in terms of improved workflow and UI.

jaekqubp likes this.
  4. jaekqubp

jaekqubp Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for sharing the update--this application seems to be lost in the shuffle. It looks like there have been some significant changes.

Panning seemed to work intermittently for me.

That includes the additional brushes, as well. I didn't see any way to run a trial. I wouldn't want to drop that much on a metro app, without trying it out first.

5. adrians

adrians Pen Pal - Newbie

Panning works pretty flawlessly for me, using two fingers. Is that what you're doing?

Do you mean trying out all the brushes that cost? If so, I don't think there's a trial for these though when I first installed the app, before paying, it did seem to me I could try these out, but I wasn't sure it wasn't an unintended glitch that allowed me to. I bought the app pretty quickly because I could see this was a high quality app (unlike many others) which was specifically thought out for tablet use. How many of these apps are there? Sketchable and Fresh Paint are the only two that come to mind. Most are so feature-laden with clumsy non-tablet-friendly UIs that when I see something like Sketchable which stands out, I don't balk at $12 even though, compared to other store apps, it might be on the high side. Fresh Paint happens to be free because, I'm guessing, it is somehow sponsored by Microsoft, but I'd probably pay a similar amount for it if it wasn't.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

How does this app compare to Autodesk Sketchbook Pro and Manga Studio 5?? I mean, both of those are far more optimized for tablets than other legacy applications like Photoshop, and yet still give a very robust experience which far exceeds Android painting apps. The windows store apps seem to be at odds, in that, if they were on very mobile solutions such as Android in the google play store, they would be the king of the hill where competent apps are scarce. With windows machines, even slates like the SP3, people tend to buy them over Android for the full access to much more powerful software.
    Is this app something in between an android experience (Sketchbook on a Notepro) and a windows desktop experience (MS5 on a SP3) ?

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly, but the experience is more like a cross between an iOS app (Paper) and Sketchbook 7. I like the various ways that the developers have been able to keep a high degree of customization just beneath the surface while keeping the core UI very clean and simple.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When the “paints with” setting is set to Stylus only, single finger input is disabled. Panning requires two fingers.

The update is free to anyone who's purchased the product before. $11.99 is the price for all the bells and whistles. (Version 1.x did not include layers or the smoothing brush).

9. JoeS

I noticed that, but when you turn off painting by touch, it would be nice to have an option to then enable single-finger pan by touch. I know some people don't want ANY touch interference, so I could see the appeal for the current setting as well.

As for pricing, if everything works well this is still a good price for a painting app, but for a casual user $12 is over the "why not" limit. I hope Sketchbook Express will finally have a layers add-on for say $5 at some point. No idea what's taking them so long.

jaekqubp likes this.
  10. JoeS

jaekqubp and thatcomicsguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.