Size over specs for drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by lubbe75, May 6, 2020.

1. lubbe75

lubbe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

What tablet should I get?

I have an old Surface Pro 2 right now, but I'm looking for something larger, and with better pen accuracy if possible. It's mainly for drawing / sketching.

I favour size over specs, so I'd rather buy something old and with lower specs as long as it is larger than the common 10". Preferably Windows, but Android tabs are also interesting.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The easiest jump for you would be the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 inch....it’s a few years old....7th gen CPU.....but it should still more then perform adequate for art purposes.....12 inch screen.....and Wacom EMR S-Pen....which will feel right at home coming from a surface Pro 2 which also used EMR.

a Surface Pro 5-7 might also work for you. Microsoft changed the pen technology with the Pro 3 from what the Pro 1 & 2 used....But with the Pro 5 and up they were able to significantly improve the pen performance.

WillAdams, thatcomicsguy and nyb72 like this.
  3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I 2nd this suggestion of the Galaxy Book 12. I'm still using mine, and they are great to travel with.
    They are also fantastic values on the secondary market right now, even the 8 gig versions.

Lilawyn likes this.
  4. lubbe75

lubbe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

I should have said something about budget. The Galaxy Book 12 seems way out of my league. I'm looking for something in the $500 range. Probably second hand and possibly a bit outdated, but with a screen larger than 10".

12" seems just right, and ideally I would like to get a second hand Surface Pro 6 or similar, but even that seems to be above my budget. Looking at the Surface Pro 3 it actually has a 12" screen, but you said that the pen performance might not be too good? I don't mind changing to an N-trig display. The pen accuracy of my Wacom powered Surface Pro 2 is really not up to standard, especially in the corners.

Lilawyn likes this.
  5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Galaxy Book 12......the 4GB of Ram model.....is plentiful buying Used off eBay for under $500. The 8GB model however was much rarer to find and even on eBay that model still goes for more then $500. (And also....avoid the Galaxy Book 2 and Galaxy Book S if you see auctions for them.)

As far as Surfaces.... Trust me.....do not.....do not ....get a Pro 3......The pen was horrid......If your gonna get a Surface Pro.....get please get a Pro 5, Pro 6, or Pro 7.......the Pro 5 you can def get off eBay for under $500....and that’s a model with 8GB. Even the Pro 6 you might get lucky for under $500.... But you have to get the pen separate....just make sure it’s the current Surface pen (the one without the pen clip).....while the Pro 3 and Pro 4 pens will work with the Pro 5-7....they don’t work as well as the current pen.

As far as EMR inaccuracy on your Pro2.....I’m kind of surprised to hear that....given the Pro 1 and Pro 2 were one of the better implementations of Wacom EMR.......EMR has a lot of weakness.....and it needs solid engineering of the device to make it really shine. The corner in-accuracy you described is actually a trademark of EMR....it’s main inherent weakness....but the severity If it differs from company to company since they are the ones building the device....Wacom just supplied the components. However I can first hand attest that the 1st generation of the Galaxy Books, the 12-incher and the 10.6 inch model....are one of the finest implementations of EMR tech I have ever seen.......(and then oddly enough the Galaxy Book 2 was an EMR disaster) but. Galaxy Book 12 inch or a Surface Pro 5 should suite you nicely.

WillAdams, thatcomicsguy and Lilawyn like this.
  6. lubbe75

lubbe75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok. The Galaxy Book 12 seems to be a rarity here in Sweden. It's still selling new at almost $2000, so I thought it was really out of reach. Second hand it's hard to get one unless it's shipped from overseas, but the prices on ebay really seem to be within reach.

I will look out for a second hand Galaxy Book 12, Surface Pro 5 or 6. Thanks for all the help!

darkmagistric and Lilawyn like this.
  7. ticol

ticol Pen Pal - Newbie

I can attest that the Galaxy Book is really a gem. I use mine on a daily basis to do some of my professional illustrations and I am always amazed how great it is. I would describe drawing on it as silky smooth. And the screen resolution is high which allows to see a lot of details even if the screen is not super large.
    And it is light, so, great for drawing on the couch too.
    Really, if you can find one you should be very happy.

WillAdams and Lilawyn like this.