Single touch tablets are left in the cold...

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by FC1032, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FC1032

FC1032 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi!

First off I'm not sure if this should be under Toshiba specifically, but since there are other single touch tablets out there, i thought it was a bit more broad. Feel free to move to the correct section.

I've been browsing the web alot to find multi-touch alternatives for my M750.

It seems to me that the most interesting and useful gestures in windows 7 are reserved for multi-touch.

I've been trying to look for a method to get kinetic scrolling (or touch panning) to natively work on the M750 (e.g scrolling lists and documents). But that is a "multi-touch" gesture. It should possible though, because i can get an extension in chrome to allow that for web browsing with no problem.

Is there a way to get kinetic scrolling somehow (you know messing with the registry, patches etc etc) ?

Also, I've noticed that some tablets feature RESISTIVE multi-touch (Asus T91MT). Meaning that they use a resistive screen but can use multi-touch, doesn't that mean other resistive screens have a chance of using the same technology??

I hope I'm making sense, I don't want to shell out another large amount of money for a capacitive screen (with Multi-touch) just to have features that can be easily implemented on a single touch display...

2. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The multi-touch-capable resistive digitizers are probably more complex than the typical four-or-five-wire single-touch resistive digitizer that's probably in your Portege M750 and pretty much every pocket computer.

Summary: don't count on getting multi-touch out of your M750.

Kinetic scrolling is considered a "multi-touch" gesture despite generally being done with only one finger? That's dumb...there may be a software workaround for Win7 out there, but I wouldn't know since the two Tablet PCs I've used don't even have a finger touch digitizer at all.

3. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

The kinetic scrolling/touch panning was working on the M750 in one of the Windows 7 betas! Unfortunately, come the RTM Microsoft removed it.

I've spoken with Rafael Rivera, the guy who did the unlock tool for the beta that enabled hidden features like the touch panning, and unfortunately he's not been able to work something out.

Here's the thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/toshiba/27507-m750-touch-panning-windows-7-help.html

Thus, bad luck. It's unlikely to happen. If you want the gestures you're have to change your Tablet. (Unless you want to faff about with the registry and Windows internals yourself and see if you can conjure something up!)

4. FC1032

Yes, I've been following that thread too, but it seems to have died since that doesn't work with the final build of win7

I'll love to play around with the registry if it makes things work the way i want to, but with my computer knowledge, I'll probably screw up everything :(

*sigh* Stupid windows, making kinetic scrolling a multitouch thing :( guess I'll hold onto my M750 for while till a good speced tablet comes out

That 12 inch eeepad looks great :) nice and sleek, light and long battery life! Hope it comes out soon and follow the nice attractive prices of previous eee's :D

5. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

HP TM2 perhaps? The new i core version sounds especially promising and good pricing too.

6. FC1032

The Tm2 sounds good in terms of value and specs, but its still on the heavy side and I think thats whats making me use my tablet less than I should.

I'll wait till the end of the year, because thats when I'm going overseas... wheres theres alot more choice than in Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.