Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ipaqman, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcSilverTriple

MarcSilverTriple Pen Pal - Newbie

Did look at this for my own use on a Asus Vivotab Note 8, and rewrite the scripts to integrate this in my own WinPE. Thanks for this simplified guide.
    May I share the scripts inspired from your work on some french forum, as people asked me how I did that for my own machine (I may also share this in the forum related to the Asus VivotabNote 8 if you don't mind)?

2. Ipaqman

Ipaqman Scribbler - Standard Member

Feel free to share and enjoy.

3. Fugazi

Fugazi Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question please.

can this procedure be used on DVP8's that are already using WIMBoot?

I have 30 of these devices that all need setting up in exactly the same way. I tried setting one up and taking an image from it (using Macrium) and then using that image on the other devices, none of the ones I imaged to would boot, neither could they be repaired, I had to factory reset them using a Dell factory reset USB, would using this procedure allow me to use a single image from one device on all the others?

If not, can anyone think of a way of using a single image on all devices?

4. Ipaqman

I have run my WIMBoot USB drive against my WIMBooted DV8P and saved more space. However, for a full backup you have to save the C drive and the recovery partition together as they are linked.

Normally, I save the full drive once and then only the C drive on a regular basis but any new WIMBoot changes the recovery partition.

5. Fugazi

Fugazi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, thank you for the reply. I have found by using the latest update in post #1 that I can create an image that works on all the other DV8 devices. As the windows key is 'hard coded' it is picked up on the first boot .. even better it also means my custom image is also the one used if a full reset is run.

Got to say this thread and results has been a life saver for me, did not relish having to set up 30 DV8's individually.

6. Phil79

Phil79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know how to convert a wimboot install.wim back into a non-wimboot install.wim?

7. Ipaqman

8. Fugazi

Fugazi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.