Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ipaqman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

An interesting option--even though this first-time post almost reads like a press release . . . . ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    devdevadev likes this.
  2. getcashmoney

getcashmoney Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, quick question. I tried to read through a few pages of posts but I didn't have time to read through every page.

Which set of steps should I follow? I believe I backed up my recovery info to an external USB drive, then I deleted the recovery partition, and just recently I had to delete the recovery data on that USB drive completely because I needed to reformat the USB drive to use for other storage.

I really don't care about an extra 500 MB of space either way, just whichever procedure is easier overall. Right now I have about 1 GB free so anything will be an improvement.

I still have my Windows 8 license key. I know I'm an idiot for not having a recovery but I like living on the edge :)

EDIT: Actually I may not have my Windows 8 License Key available, is there any way to find it on Windows?

3. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

getcashmoney, you are welcome to install the trial of ZIPmagic 12.2 and use the one-click "Compress" button in DoubleSpace to compress your disk. You will not need to enter in a Windows 8 license key or manually do anything. Your free 1 GB space will be enough to compress your entire disk using WIMBoot, and you will not need external storage such as a USB drive either during the process. *No payment is required for this*

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  4. zipmagic

Correct, you wouldn't need to. Even if you uninstall ZIPmagic/DoubleSpace, your files will continue to work exact as before; powered by WIMBoot technology which is now a core of the OS.

5. zipmagic

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's 2,000 words worth.

First, let's take a look at the C: drive on my 64 GB Surface Pro:

CaptureX.jpg

Next, let's calculate the compression ratio of all files stored on this disk:

Capture.jpg

That's pretty impressive: 2.1:1.0.

ZIPmagic DoubleSpace has indeed more than doubled my disk :)

6. getcashmoney

I'm having serious storage space issues after using your utility drive space. Please check your personal inbox.

Edit: I should add that DoubleSpace did indeed work well. I shouldn't have tried your other program.

7. zipmagic

I got your private message. For the benefit of other users who might run into this issue, this is what you reported:

"Can you receive this ? My tablet has serious issues after using your program. I used double space first and it opened up about 16gb, then I tried using drive space and it errored out after about 75%. Now I am left with less space than I started with, and it won't let me delete the DoubleSpace undo disk file for some reason. I hit "delete" and it doesn't do anything. So I can't recompress. Please help."

I'm glad to hear that DoubleSpace worked well for you. I'm not aware of any issues with DriveSpace that would cause the behavior you described. There are no known ill interactions between DoubleSpace and DriveSpace at this time. If you can send a screenshot of the error you ran into at 75%, I'd be able to provide more meaningful feedback, hopefully locating and fixing the issue for you and all future customers.

I doubt DriveSpace caused any space leakage. When you try to compress (using NTFS, as DriveSpace does) a file that has already been compressed by WIMBoot, the compression simply skips the file. No duplicate data is created, and the file is not extracted from the WIM file. It seems to me like what you probably did is copy the WIM file from your Undo Disk to your main storage. Your Undo Disk cannot be the same disk you are compressing; so I suppose this happened after you compressed the drive with DoubleSpace, and sometime when you were trying out DriveSpace.

If you want to delete the WIM file, you can do it from the command line. Explorer is actually querying for the total number of files and folders inside the WIM (since it perceives it as a folder), this is why it looks like it's not doing anything (considering that your WIM file contains all of the files on your hard disk, it takes a while to load up all of that information). If you wait for the enumeration to complete, you can also delete it with Explorer directly; but the command line is faster in general.

8. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

(Rather than this becoming a ZIPmagic thread, which it wasn't set up to be, might the ZIPmagic folks set up their own thread in the Dell forum here? That way, this thread can remain for those seeking WIMBoot solutions, and ZIPmagic has its own avenue to discuss its functioning, all in a streamlined form. Just a thought, folks . . .)

JJWatMyself likes this.
  9. getcashmoney

I didn't think to take a screenshot, because I thought it would be a small error. At the point of error, it said that the compression rate was .7:1. The error basically said that it could not stop a process due to an I/O error. It forced me to stop drive space, then my whole system UI crashed. I had to reset my tablet to do anything.

I dont know how the undo file would have been copied to C:. I never went into explorer, and I see the file on my SD card (D:) but not on C. I also didn't do anything with my tablet other than DoubleSpace and then immediately drivespace.

So if I delete the archive undo file then recompress you think it will be fixed?

10. zipmagic

I'm purely speculating here, but something may be wrong with your tablet hardware if you got an I/O error. I/O errors are generally caused by defective disks, and not software bugs. DriveSpace doesn't have any low-level code that would crash your system like that, at any rate. Before doing anything else, I would run a surface scan on your hard disk using your favorite disk utility to make sure there's no more surprises. Please feel free to follow up directly at ZIPmagic's own forums per the preceding suggestion here.