Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ipaqman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice. But unfortunately for consumers, at a not-insignificant price ($29.95). :( I must say, I am a bit turned off by the optional $3.95 software "warranty" (ability to re-download the software for a year).

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm worried about reading the words Stacker and DriveSpace. I hoped this was history back in 1995.

3. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

@mimarsinan: Once again, thanks for the head's up on this thread.

Mikerman, I have already responded to your pricing concerns here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/del...2gb-plus-disk-space-using-wimboot-dv8p-3.html

I also want to additionally point out that for most customers, especially the technically unsophisticated; it is preferable to spend US$30, than to spend hours of their day in frustration, trying out command after command in a command line window, and possibly even accidentally destroying their system in the process.

4. zipmagic

Thank you for your candid feedback. If you have any suggestions for product names that would be more assuring for customers, please don't hesitate to let me know! I would be very glad to lift any concerns about the product that customers may have.

With the advent of super fast but super expensive SSDs, fixed-storage (non-upgradeable) tablets, and (virtual private) servers with fixed storage that are hard to upgrade and/or relocate, disk compression is once again in fashion.

I have taken maximum care and assure you that I use the product myself on my own production system as I described in a press release I linked to on this page: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/del...2gb-plus-disk-space-using-wimboot-dv8p-3.html

5. zipmagic

Thank you for sharing your concern. I have removed the optional software "warranty" from the offering in an effort to improve my customer service.

I have also responded to your concerns on the pricing at this thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/del...2gb-plus-disk-space-using-wimboot-dv8p-3.html

Please note that even without the response above, most customers (especially those who are not technically inclined) would prefer spending thirty bucks to having to spend hours droning away at a command line, undertaking complex procedures not designed for end-users, and running the constant risk of data loss through a mistyped command at any time.

You will find that DoubleSpace is definitely worth the investment, in the cost savings it offers you.

6. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly, with the rate at which new WIMBoot apps are coming together and improving all the time, I don't see the advantage of paying money for one. These tools are becoming simpler and less complex with each passing revision.

I jumped on the WIMBoot train pretty early so when I did it the information was scarce and not quite all there. But with things as they are now, I think I'd be able to create a working WIMBoot installation with a minimal amount of fuss and without having to rely on a paid application. I'm actually considering re-WIMBooting not just my Venue 8 Pro but I'd also like to give it a shot on an XPS 12 and even beyond to a full desktop running UEFI firmware on an SSD. I would expect to see a much deeper advancement with the tools since my first attempt.

JJWatMyself likes this.
  7. zipmagic

I understand cost is your primary concern.

I would encourage you to install DoubleSpace, and then WIMBoot your disks with one-click. You may then uninstall DoubleSpace, and continue enjoying the WIMBoot compression savings on your disks. This is legal and is allowed by myself and my product license. I hope this addresses your concern, as you will have converted all your systems to WIMBoot for absolutely free, and in one-click.

Once you have done this, you will see that no commercial, or free tool, matches the ease of use, or the capabilities present in DoubleSpace today. DoubleSpace is constantly improving, and will remain ahead of the full disk compression curve.

I have not seen any other commercially supported tool (other than DoubleSpace) supporting WIMBoot. I have seen one freeware tool and multiple tutorials, each with their gigabytes of downloads, and countless steps. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, and if there is a commercial, or free tool, or process, that is one-click like DoubleSpace is. And that is to say nothing of the advanced compression and on-the-fly processing capabilities of DoubleSpace! You will not find these in any current tool or process either, outside of DoubleSpace.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    mimarsinan likes this.
  8. zipmagic

I also thought I'd stress some things which a lot of tutorials miss out on. DoubleSpace:

1) Does not require any particular hardware. It works on all Windows 8.1 Update 1 PCs. A lot of the tutorials seem designed for a particular brand or make of PC.

2) Exceeds compression savings that you can achieve with WIMBoot. Almost none of the tutorials I have seen exceed WIMBoot's native compression. DoubleSpace's MaxSpace compression setting is the best-compressed WIMBoot solution that currently exists.

3) Performs on-the-fly conversion of any system to WIMBoot, without requiring external storage. This may be risk for some, of course. If you are able to supply an Undo Disk, DoubleSpace can consume it to guarantee your safety - but this is not required.

4) Runs in a one-click manner and is fully automated - just sit back and relax! You get all the benefits above and below, and the whole process is easier too! No videos to watch. No steps to follow. No commands to type. This is a "have your cake and eat it too" scenario.

5) Converts any installed system. Again, a lot of the tutorials I have seen around seem to require clean installs. This is not necessary with DoubleSpace.

6) Compresses all files, folders, apps, and data on a system - not just Windows files. This means, the more you are storing on your disk, the more space you are saving. This is how DoubleSpace eventually ends up doubling your total disk storage.

I would also like to congratulate people who are actually building their own tutorials, guides, and apps. I have already published a free utility, which might help them eliminate the need to download the ADK, and build a custom version of Windows PE, at this address:

http//www.zipmagic.co/zipmagicwinre.7zip

A lot of the tutorials simply must invoke steps to download the ADK (several gigs), and then to update it for Windows 8.1 Update 1 (another gig or so), for the purpose of building a Windows PE instance that can be used to service the system.

DoubleSpace is truly community-built software, as described at:

Simon King`s ZIPmagic: Frequently Asked Questions

The technique that DoubleSpace uses to eliminate the entire Windows PE download/update method was not my idea, but the idea of many peers at reboot.pro. In fairness to their time and help and ideas, I have made the above free utility available.

So people who are building their tutorials and refining their apps are very welcome to invoke this tool from their apps and/or tutorials - it really would save users countless hours in downloads, complex commands, and frustration.

9. jnkstuff

jnkstuff Pen Pal - Newbie

I could be wrong but it seems like this thread has been hijacked by someone trying to sell their product. Wouldn't it be better to start your own forum topic and post there?

10. devdevadev

devdevadev Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Everyone...

Most of us are always worrying about the Low Disk Space problem within Windows Installation Drive (C drive) of our PC/Tablet/Laptop. All of us who can't afford greater storage within C: drive install only limited and lightweight third party software. Sometimes we stuck in big trouble whenever free space reached to 50-150 MB. And we don't want to re-format C: drive at that time. Don't worry guys.....

Microsoft introduces 'WIMBoot' features in 'Win 8.1 U1' in order to keep size of C: drive smaller. But it require fresh Windows Installation within from PE Environment. So in real sense WIMBoot doesn't help for those guys who have left only 50-150 MB free space in their C: drives. Don't worry guys once again.....

Actually I was also facing low free space problem till now. But now low free space is not a big problem. All thanks goes to 'Simon King' for creating magical tool ZIPmagic 12.2 (DoubleSpace, DriveSpace, Stacker). ZIPmagic DoubleSpace uses WIMBoot technology to safely double storage on your boot disk. It also allow me to customize compression rate according to my comfort zone.

I love it very much. Try it..........It works just like magic !

Regards.......