Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide Version 2

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ipaqman, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipaqman

Ipaqman Scribbler - Standard Member

It appears that the UEFI partition is missing. The DV8P cannot boot without it.

If you have a working copy of the WIMBoot USB drive, you can use it to restore that partition among others.

Or if you did a full drive backup, I would restore with that. Hopefully, the DV8P will boot using a WinPE drive.

2. Ipaqman

I am still hoping to hear from anyone who has tried this simplified procedure on a DV11P.

3. andy_sym

andy_sym Pen Pal - Newbie

I ended up using the DoubleSpace software for my Venue Pro 11 Ipaqman I'm afraid as I wasn't confident enough following even your new simple instructions.

4. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I finally got back to a working Venue 8, after trying this and making a mistake or two. For one, after my failure the first time and with realizing I may have only selected one partition to backup, I had to do a full install of Windows 8, what an absolute nightmare it was too. I actually only needed to get the partitions rebuilt so it would boot and then I could restore my C (Windows) drive backup, so I was then able to get back to where I was. I then tried this procedure again and had a missing WinRE.wim, which I finally got figured out how to fix thanks to this thread. And of course the lure of Wimboot took over again so I thought I would try it again and received a missing install.wim error and that again put me in the unbootable state, but this time I actually had a good backup with all partitions, so that is ok and I am back to being able to boot, but my question is this, how do I get an install.wim on my USB or is there something else I am doing wrong? I am fairly technical but this is a different world for me with the tablet, I have built windows machines before and I think I am fairly good at the command prompt, but this process is over my head, and when it fails I am lost, so any help would be wonderful. Although I did just realize I followed the procedure from the 1.2 version post, this past time. But the first time I tried v2.

Thanks a bunch for any help! and thanks ipaqman for the procedure, even if I cannot seem to do it right :eek:-

Later

5. Ipaqman

The version 2.0 ISO has a WinRE.wim already stored in the usb install folder. Other versions need to find WinRe.wim.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  6. hometownnerd

Thanks, I guess I will try 2.0 again. What about install.wim? Where will that come from? Is that created on the fly by the .cmd files or is there a step I have missed?

Thanks again

7. Ipaqman

Install.wim is created on the fly from your Windows C: drive by the USB WIMBoot scripts.

8. hometownnerd

Ok, cool. Do you have any idea why it would be missing during the script execution? I will give 2.0 a try again tomorrow and see what happens, hopefully this time will be the time it works.

Thanks again for your help,
    later

9. hometownnerd

Ok, I have tried v2 again and it gets a lot of the way through and then errors out with a few errors again and it will not boot past the internal hard disk drive not found screen....maybe I will try to use the backup to reset the partition for booting and see if it works. I have attached images from the screen to see if that helps with figuring out why I am failing.

fail1-WP_000144.jpg fail1-WP_000145.jpg fail1-WP_000143.jpg

Thanks again for your help,
    Larry

EDIT: Ok, I have tried to use the backup to rebuild the partitions for loading....actually all but the windows one and the RE one, but now it boots and says it needs recovery that never fires. Guessing this will not work for me. Back to the full backup.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  10. Ipaqman

The DISM error file exists error usually occurs during a capture. This is a MS bug.

However, I have not seen it for apply-image. The only thing that comes to mind is that your Windows may already have a C:\Recycler\Scratchdir in it that collides with the WinPE script's use of C:\Recycler\Scratchdir when it tries to apply the image. In that case, remove that folder from your Windows or modify the script to rename scratchdir.

Please let us knoiw if that was the cause of the error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.