Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide Version 2

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ipaqman, Aug 8, 2014.

1. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry to hear about that. We'll be glad to work with you until your issue is fully resolved. For starters, could you please confirm the hardware and operating system you tried to compress, and the settings you used?

Additionally, is it possible for you to share the actual error message you received? This would go a long ways in resolving the issue. You may find it convenient to take a "screenshot" of the error screen with your camera and then upload that picture here (since you wouldn't be able to take and save a screenshot in the special processing mode).

2. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned some of that, huh? Ok, I have a 32 Gb Venue 8 pro with an existing 8.1 install. I tried the settings that were given in the instructions since I am not sure what changes to make, although I may have picked high compression. I seem to be getting error 80 file exists now as it is applying the image then an error 2 cannot find the file specified a few second later. I have a screen capture I am attaching and the dism.log file as well.

Thank you so much for helping me,
    Larry
    WP_000121.jpg

and this is what happens when I reboot....
    WP_000122.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  3. meandu229

meandu229 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, firstly don't panic I had this and its fixable. I assume you made have a recovery usb stick or made the disk image like the tutorial states? Best bet is to restore that.

4. zipmagic

Oh, that's not DoubleSpace at all. Here is what DoubleSpace looks like when its running:

ZIPmagic DoubleSpace.jpg

Yes, its a friendly GUI window - not an ugly command line hack.

Next time, be sure you try out DoubleSpace. In addition to completely avoiding the countless pitfalls found on Internet tutorials (like this one which got you), DoubleSpace has the following advantages:

1. Four Levels of Compression: Three compression grades stronger than WIMBoot
    2. On-the-Fly Compression: Convert a full disk without requiring additional storage
    3. Compress Apps and Data in Addition to OS: Save space on all files stored on your disk - not just Windows
    4. Recompression: Reclaim additional space as apps/files are added/deleted
    5. Does Not Require Windows ADK: No need to download and install gigabytes of data
    6. Does Not Require Windows PE 5.1: No need to create bootable Windows on external USB
    7. One-Click Operation: No need to type endless commands in a console
    8. Use All CPU Cores for Compression: Maximize compression speed and space gain
    9. 32 bit Windows Support: Compress any x86 system
    10. BIOS Support: Not limited to UEFI systems
    11. Mechanical Disk Support: Compress any HDD, not just SSDs

That's 11 reasons to use DoubleSpace, or 11 things you wished you could do with WIMBoot, but can't.

Maybe we can add a 12th reason now:

12. No Command Line Pitfalls: Safely and securely compress your disk, successfully each time!

5. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I will restore it, was hoping to get the compression fixed. Will restore now. Thanks for giving me actual advice.

zipmagic: thanks for trying to sell your method again, I understand what you are saying, but it is not helpful since I said I followed the tutorial and did not just press the single button on your GUI. I understand what I undertook and also understand you are charging 30$ for a similar maybe safer maybe easier method but I was looking for advice from people who would help not sell, thanks.

Thanks again meandu229! Have a great day,
    Larry

6. zipmagic

@hometownnerd: I *am* trying to help. The same way you wouldn't expect an archiver application you install, try out, and then uninstall to delete all archives you created with it; you shouldn't expect ZIPmagic to block or decompress your disk after you have used DoubleSpace's trial edition to compress your disk. I understand not everyone has an extra $30 to spend on software. This is why I have a fully unlimited 30 day trial; coupled with another 30 days where I do not charge your credit card after your purchase - should you choose to opt-out, you are billed nothing.

So you can choose to save yourself some time and frustration with the one-click approach, legally, with my permission. Or you are free to continue your DISM command line experiments and experience more frustration. It's really your choice, whichever one you make, I truly hope you are happy with it :)

7. meandu229

meandu229 Pen Pal - Newbie

Basically that error is that it cant find the UEFI folder on the boot drive, when I did it (I was drunk not sure how I did it) I fixed by booting to the recovery drive which I had added the uefi folder from my recovery partition and using the command prompt to copy it over.
    Once you have restored(how good are backups :D) just try again and watch out for errors along the way.

8. JJWatMyself

JJWatMyself Pen Pal - Newbie

I am duplicate posting on two of ipaqman's threads in observance of repeated posts by zipmagic that are not directly linked to those by the op in post #1

I would really appreciate to keep this thread to the scripts and hard work by Ipaqman, who is the op.

Zipmagic should be a sperate thread please.

Otherwise, how can we discuss Ipaqman's scripts, if zipmagic continues to post on his product, which remains unseeded to a dedicated thread in this forum?

Respectfully requested.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Mikerman and jnkstuff like this.
  9. zipmagic

10. Ipaqman

Ipaqman Scribbler - Standard Member

It appears that the UEFI partition is missing. The DV8P cannot boot without it.

If you have a working copy of the WIMBoot USB drive, you can use it to restore that partition among others.

Or if you did a full drive backup, I would restore with that. Hopefully, the DV8P will boot using a WinPE drive.