Simplified WIMBoot Dell Venue 8 Pro Guide Version 2

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ipaqman, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Ipaqman

Ipaqman Scribbler - Standard Member

I would not proceed in this case. Something is wrong.

2. Ipaqman

When I googled this error message, TECHNET mentioned that sysprep should not be run on an upgraded installation.

In any case, I found a page with a possible solution. Here is what I saw:

How to run SysPrep on an Upgraded Operating System | Learn, Acquire, then Apply...

Below is the method that I found to work perfectly.

Remove this KEY from the Registry:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade

Remove this REG_DWORD from the Registry:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade

Set this REG_DWORD from the Registry:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\CleanupState [Set Hexadecimal Value: 7]

Run this command as Administrator:
    slmgr /dli

After your operating system is activated re-run SysPrep and it will work!

- Harry Caskey

jaekqubp likes this.
  3. hawkdaddyo

hawkdaddyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks; removing "Upgrade" from the Registry allowed Sysprep to work without incident. The WinPE USB did the job and I now have 18.4gb free of 21.9gb total on my C drive, which included MS Office Pro Plus 2013 and several other apps. Thanks, again, for a very simple method to gain free disk space.

4. physdl

physdl Pen Pal - Newbie

I just tried using this method, but did not get it to work. I was running Windows 8.1 Pro with all the latest updates. When it was creating the wimboot image (after booting from the USB drive, during the Capture-Image stage), I got an "Error: 5 Access is denied" after 43.0% of the image was saved. The log does not seem to have anything useful about this or any failure. I don't think there is much customized on my tablet. I did try two different USB sticks - one 16GB and one 32 GB with the exact same results.

Any idea how to fix this? I'm planning to revert to my backup for now. I'm guessing I'll need to reinstall the OS to get it to work.

5. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And the Sticks are formatted with NTFS and not FAT32?

6. physdl

physdl Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, they are.

7. Ipaqman

I tried googling this error. The pages indicate anti-virus or file permissions issues.
    I can believe that a special install of Windows may have permissions that are unexpected by DISM.

I believe I have seen this error when there are older mounted images in C:\Images.

8. physdl

physdl Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree on this, and it's similar to what I concluded after doing some research. Perhaps the combination of the upgrade to Pro and some VPN programs I have installed caused the problem. Not a huge deal, and at some point I'll try reinstalling Windows from scratch.

9. meandu229

meandu229 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can this be reused over and over to keep your wimboot partition up to date?

10. Ipaqman

I looked over this new software DriveSpace and DoubleSpace. I have major misgivings about software using a new Windows 8.1 update feature that was not intended for a real-time re-compressing. I also have issues with the names as they were involved in trademark issues back when Stacker was a major compression player. I wrote the ARJ archiver program back in the 90's and closely followed anything regarding file compression.