Simplest Windows application for learning to draw?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by bemymonkey, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi there,

I'm thinking of trying out my ATIV SPC for drawing purposes, and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for a simple program that would allow me to figure out if it's something for me at all. I've got Photoshop (will be installing that in a few minutes), but I have a feeling that's not exactly right, especially for someone like me who can't really draw properly on paper :p

Free is good, or at least a trial version for testing before purchase... Any recommendations?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Photoshop is actually quite good for sketching with a simulated pencil, I find.

Just set the brush to an air brush, the ink to black and the opacity to around 40% and it's very much like working with a real-world pencil. I do nearly all my 'pencils' in Photoshop due to its speed, reliability and the fact you can save without hassles in any standard format.

Paint Tool Sai is also really nice to work in, better than Photoshop, I'd say for direct brush action, though it demands too much memory for my old machine, it's bad at file manipulation and it has limited selection tools. For simple sketching, though, it's great.

3. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, I'll give that brush a try and Google Paint Tool Sai :)

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

also, I LOVE the pencil tool in Sketchbook Pro. If I had to have only 1 program for JUST pencil sketching, it would be Sketchbook Pro, otherwise it is rather limited, but has some nice features like mirror mode too.

5. juanforall

juanforall Pen Pal - Newbie

6. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Could always try Windows Journal - it's free and built right into Windows 7 and 8. You have to set up in options to turn off the lined paper and set pressure sensitivity to on. After that - you just draw.

If you have Windows Office - you can use drawing tools within a Word document or if you have a full installation disc you could try Microsoft One Note. One Note is better than Journal because the file size limit is bigger if you're running an older tablet machine.