Silos, etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kurt corbin, Jan 22, 2019.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Would you folks kindly stop demanding that tablet designers provide a silo or a magnet or a loop or something for the pen? For a silo they have to make the pen abnormally small, but it nevertheless takes up valuable space that could be used for much more important hardware. Removing the pen also makes stupid software pop up. And then you have to go buy a normal pen anyway. Magnets are heavy, unreliable, and might interfere with the electronics. Loops are just dorky. Please find some other way to keep track of your pen.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Steve S and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

No.

bloodycape and AveSharia like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Would you folks kindly stop demanding that tablet designers provide a silo...>>

...I'm with kurt on this one. You don't have a silo for your car keys, yet somehow everyone learns to keep track of them. You don't have a silo for your wallet. You don't have a silo for your ball point pen... Oh. Wait, you do! It's called your shirt pocket! Learn to cope, people...!

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster On Hiatus Senior Member

I misplace my keys, wallet, and lose ball point pens all the time!

Most tablets already don't have a silo—and you have to buy the pen separately on most of those anyway. Learn to allow others their dream devices, people! You already have most devices the way you like them, sans silo. You shouldn't hog them all.

But arguments mean nothing on this issue, which is why I merely responded "no" before. You want what you want because you want it; I want what I want because I want it. Nobody will be convinced to change their opinion.

So I'll exit the "debate" here. Have fun!

5. fuglee

fuglee Pen Pal - Newbie

IMO, silo are still by far the best way to not lose the pen. I still have my pens for my Modbook and Samsung N9P. Magnets are okay for temporary storage but will come loose too easily. I've lost 1 Surface pen already. That being said, I'm willing to sacrifice the silo for the loop for better specs or smaller device. I don't care about the dork factor.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll gladly concede the Silos (for tablets, not phones), but I won't concede an alternative solution (Magnetic or Loop) to hold the pen. I always personally loved loops, since as evident by both my old Pro 3 and Galaxy Book......the Loops are completely optional, and hold the pen more securely in transit then any magnet ever could, and do hold up over time)

The Magnetic approach however....that Microsoft introduced with the Pro 4 and Apple further improve upon with the latest iPad Pros.....I think is going forward going to be the overall preferred way of doing it. If you're sitting at a desk for hours stationary its not really an issue....but if your schlepping your device all over the place, or moving between rooms, or have to put the pen away at times (life drawing without desks, jotting down notes during a walk thru inspection, etc) the ease of being able to magnetically attach the pen really can't be beaten and is quicker then either Silos or Loops.

Now to offer a few counterpoints the Magnetic interference of having a magnet is only an issue if your using an EMR Pen.....for ES based pens such as N-trig/MPP/AES/& Apple Pencil........Magnetic interference isn't even an issue. That alone is one of the reason why OEMs choose ES based Pen solutions over EMR.

And the argument of saving valuable space for other hardware is a poor point in my opinion....Apple made that exact same claim to justify the omission of the headphone jack on the iPhones......(instead of just copping they want everyone to buy their bluetooth headphones). So long as the device is physically thick enough to house the magnetic strip (or port).....that whole argument just comes off as an excuse for lazy engineering. Once we start getting iPads and Surfaces in the 3-5mm thinness range....then we'll talk.

Personally I'm hoping the next Surface will copy apple's magnetic charging trick, since that would allow them to play with the pens overall shape and composition beyond the limit of the AAAA battery.

Aside from Silos, Magnets, or Loops......there was another option I'd consider...it was only ever used I think for the Toshiba Encore Write tablets.....where there was a silo....but only for the pen clip....not the pen....so the Pen stays attached via the clip. I would also find that solution agreeable....but then you have the same problem of the clip silo taking up the precious space for other hardware....if that's a concern of yours.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019