Silencing the EP121's very Noisy Fans

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Edwood, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My fans don't ever seem to change speed, just a constant gentle whoosh that's only audible in the a silent area and even then is just so quiet that it's of no issue. When I first heard about the issue (no pun intended) I didn't get it until Ed or someone made a video and to me it seemed pretty obvious that it had to be a defect. If your device is making more than a gentle whooshing noise I think there is a problem.

2. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't hear mine unless it's
    A, completely silent in the room, COMPLETELY
    B, I put my ear up to it

3. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems on par with Ed's.
    But won't know for certain til I get to check out that demo unit again. Good thing Fry's is only like 15 minutes away. And if it's normal I might just pick up the extra RAM while I'm there so it's a win/win. :)

4. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got mine from the Microsoft Store and the fan is loud on mine too. Not nearly as bad as EdwoOd, but enough that it would be annoying trying to take notes in a meeting or conference room. I don't think mine is defective, but rather a constant woosh sound as some have stated. I suppose for someone in a noisy environment it won't be a problem. It is definitely too loud for me. I will be sending it back today.

5. enicholie

enicholie Pen Pal - Newbie

Techgeek. Can you share the serial number. Wondering if they produced a bad group. I sent mine back. Serial number ended in 000405.

6. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

Took mine back yesterday. Wanted to check the demo unit at Frys before I actually returned, but wouldn't you know, somebody purchased it after I was denied initially. Eh. I'm glad I got the 2/32 model since I also just ordered an 80GB HD. So took mine in and was sent to Service to evaluate. The tech agreed that it was running louder than it should as well as the fan blowing pretty hard. So they swapped mine with a brand new one which was luckily in stock.

BTW, Fry's Customer service, definitely stepping up their game. Was pretty smooth transaction. They brought out the new unit, let me check it out and yup the new one was DEAD quiet and no fans running from the get go. Also picked up 4GB RAM and installed it last night.

If you have any doubts, I say return that bad boy. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to look up the serial but the one I have ends with 000646 if that helps any.

7. deleuzean

deleuzean Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh no! My slate just started being super loud when I roused it from hibernation. I hibernated and roused it a few times and each time the fans came on full blast.

I got them to quiet back down to normal by doing a full shut down and reboot, but now I'm a bit scared that my machine is going to get stuck in loud mode.

Has anyone else had similar (and hopefully lasting) success with such a reboot fix?

I have had to reboot occasionally (rarely) to get other things "unstuck" too. Just last night I was using CDisplay to read a manga and suddenly found myself unable to use either pen or touch input. Rebooting fixed it fast.

8. deleuzean

hey, my SE ends in 000401. Very close to yours! As stated in another post, I have just had my first run in with loud fan noise, but I was able to quiet it down by rebooting. If that turns out to only be a temporary fix, then maybe you are correct about a bad batch.

9. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine never died down. It was on full blast as soon as it was booted from day 1. Glad I exchanged it. :)

10. deleuzean

Mine has stayed quiet today.

< crosses fingers >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.