Shutdown site at night?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by leaftye, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

It's almost all spam anyway. I kick myself almost every time I come here late at night.

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Only problem is, what's night? This is a global site.

3. leaftye

Night at Pacific Standard Time seems to be when I see the most spam. Oh, and I didn't exactly mean to shut it down, but rather to stop posting to the forum.

Part of my suggestion is out of frustration, but there are practical aspects too. The moderators won't have to work as hard. More importantly, new visitors won't come here and see that the majority of new posts are spam and assume that this site is dominated by spam as well, only to never return again.

4. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you mean all the iphone and blackberry for sale posts? I only see those in Google Reader, they are almost never available to actually read... but I live on the East Coast.... Maybe,there should have a minimum number of posts before you can use the 4 sale section.... (though I am not actually sure that all of them are in the 4 sale section..)

5. leaftye

No, they show up all over the place. It's not just obvious sale ads either. Sometimes they appear to be somewhat relevant replies to a thread, but the tell-tales are that they often reply to old threads and more importantly, they have have spam links to other sites.

My last check had 9 new posts. 4 of them were spam. The ratio would have been worse if I hadn't created this thread and replied to another.

6. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

We cannot shut down the site. As Adam stated, it's a global site. People should be allowed to post at any time of the day freely. Unfortunately there is only 4 active moderators unless I counted wrong (DrTigerlilly, Frank, adam.mt, and myself) so it's a little harder to keep spam under control. We are doing our best to rectify the situation.

7. leaftye

Hopefully the metrics are doing fine. It just seems like there are not that many frequent repeat non-mod posters as there were a year or so ago. This seems like the most obvious reason to me. Of course it could also seem that way to me because I took a couple months off to go hiking. :)

8. leaftye

All 4 of the new posts are spam.

9. b3nz0n8

b3nz0n8 Pen Pal - Newbie

We (and I mean all of us) really appreciate all of the Mods work and efforts. It is not mentioned as often as it should be, but it is certainly appreciated. Community is very important, and we certainly appreciate all that you do to maintain the environment. Thank you (all)

10. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Thank you very much b3nz0n8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.