Should Sony make a little brother to the Duo 11?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Mitlov, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

10.6" screen 1366x768, slider, ARM or Atom processor, $700-$800 price tag. Tell me why this isn't a good idea to offer this for everyone who is intrigued by the Duo 11 but ends up wincing at the price tag that inevitably will result from Ivy Bridge and 1080p.

And yes, I know they offer the Xperia Tablet S, but every review I've read said it's good hardware married to a buggy and laggy skinned version of Android. Maybe time to accept that Android phones are popular but Android tablets just aren't?

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

From what I read the Xperia isn't skinned, but only has extra widgets(some useful) and some extra apps(again some useful). An Atom based model would be pretty good, but I think the 11 is using a N-Trig, or something not Wacom based for the digitizer, and if they did an 10.6in(or 10.1in) it would be the same.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm personally not worried about which digitizer it uses. I'm looking for a convertible tablet as a fusion of an iPad-like device and a MacBook Air-like device, not because I want to draw on it. So that's not a deal-breaker for me at all. Heck, I probably won't use a stylus at all--just finger and keyboard. Although a convertible tablet that doesn't use Wacom is viewed as worse than scrap material by some here ;) I don't think the difference matters for most people interested in Windows 8/Windows RT convertible tablets.

About the UI of the Xperia Tablet S:

Sony Xperia Tablet S review: Sony's second-gen Android slate has a slimmer design, faster guts -- Engadget

4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I was going based on what I read Xperia Tablet review at the Verge.

As for N-Trig vs Wacom, I don't have much experience with Wacom, but the N-Trig pen on my Thinkpad Tablet is a bit clunky and noisy(specially when taking notes) vs what I have seen in store on the Galaxy Note 10.1 and Lenovo X220t. Gen4 of N-Trig is suppose to fix some of the wrongs of the past, but I don't think much is really know yet about digitizer on the Vaio 11.

I think it would be cool if Sony made a version of the Xperia Tab with 2gb of ram, Snapdragon Pro, digitizer, and of course Windows 8 RT.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.