Should I upgrade to Windows 10? [VivoTab TF810C]

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nessers, Jul 29, 2015.

1. nessers

nessers Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using my VivoTab for over two years now. Mostly in desktop mode (mainly browsing the web and compiling LaTeX documents).

However I do have a mild use of the Metro interface, using some tablet-aimed PDF annotator when I have to fill in some forms or grade homework; last I checked Adobe Acrobat Reader wasn't great for that, although it may have changed in the new version. (I also used to take notes in OneNote, but this year I learned that I actually Live-TeX equally fast.)

Is the upgrade to Windows 10 worth the trouble? Is it reversible in case I don't like it?

Thanks...

2. Joshua A Gray

Joshua A Gray Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I think its worth it. I just did it on my Dell Venue 8 Pro. Love it. Tablet Mode is pretty nice. Takes a lil getting used to but its kinda similar to that Linux feel. Yes you can reverse one of two ways, don't delete the Old Windows files after doing the upgrade (IDK why you wouldn't do this anyway because it takes up a ton of HD space and when you have 23gb as Drive C total like me, you need all the HDD Space you can muster) or you can create a UEFI Bootable USB with Windows 8.1 x86 to install. But this way you need to be sure to have a copy of your CD Key... I think. I haven't done it but it is a guess, or it might just go by your account.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/windows-10-success.67123/

3. nessers

nessers Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, that's good to know.

However the Dell Venue 8 Pro boasts a far superior processor (from the screenshot in your other thread I see it's a Bay Trail Z3740 which is a 64bit processor). The TF810C has a 32bit Clover Trail atom processor. Which is why I'm a bit worried it might not be up to the task.

4. al p

al p Pen Pal - Newbie

I have Asus ViviTab TF810C and want to upgrade to windows 10, but Microsoft gives an error when I click on the get windows 10 app that I am unable to run Windows 10 because the Intel Graphics Media Aceelerator is not compatible and to check with manufacturer. Intel doesn't support it and shows support comes from tablet manufacturer and asus doesn't have any new drivers, not since 2014. What do I do? Funny thing an messed up thing is you can buy this tablet on Amazon andit mentions free upgrade to Windows 10, but you cant at moment. frustrating

5. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

That is interesting! I've got the Samsung XE500 also with the Z2760 processor and GMA. When i clicked on the app it says there are no problems, but there are! When you open the new store for example you don't see any text only the app icons. It's the same in edge for example.

It isn't unusable though. You can use it, but it's not pretty. I also saw a couple of bluescreen because of this. If you really want and need windows 10 you can go for it, but I would wait until there are better drivers. Also it's not the best experience for a tablet, edge is a bit faster but not as nice to use as metro IE for example.

FYI: Yes there is a way to go back if you don't like Windows 10. When you upgrade you have the chance to go back to Windows 8 if you hate it. But only for like 30 days. The option is in the settings app.

6. Korgnex

Korgnex Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone has to bug ASUS for new drivers.

There are NO Windows 10 drivers for this device (this will most likely cause issues with Intel GMA, camera, touchpad and pen) and it seems like ASUS has dropped support for this device in 2014.

Ain't worth the upgrade if there's no driver support anymore.

So, right now: NO, do NOT upgrade! You will only lose functionality and gain nothing.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  7. nessers

nessers Pen Pal - Newbie

That is a huge bummer of a news. Thanks for letting me know, I guess.

8. nikita00

nikita00 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I have installed Windows 10 on my VTN8. I am experiencing a bsod in one note sometimes. (win32kbase.sys or something).

I also have another problem with the Intel SST audio device (not sure if also in Win 8). After a couple of minutes of usage the right speaker stops working. I tried the speaker test in control panel and no sound plays when testing the right speaker. At first I thought the device was faulty but when I create a new user and switch to the new user the right speaker works but stops again after a while.

Any ideas on how to fix this. Its really annoying especially the bsod.

9. Evertonian

Evertonian Pen Pal - Newbie

10. swidwaks

swidwaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Evertonian,

Have you had any performance issues after installing 10? I just did it with the Media Creation tool and now the TF810c is rather jittery and sluggish. It also seems to keep the screen on after going to sleep unless I do a full shutdown.

There are updates available so I am going to try that before I revert back to 8.

Edit: Updates did not seem to help much. Still won't sleep and pretty jittery. Onenote seems a little nonfluid as well but I can't remember if that is how it was in Win8.1. Not sure if I should try doing a clean install to see if that helps or just call it quits.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015