Should I get the ATiv 500t Keyboard Dock?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by hahyun92, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hahyun92

hahyun92 Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently ordered the tablet only, hearing that Keyboard has some problems. I do have a usb hub + 2 bluetooth keyboards (one being the apple keyboard), and bought a poetic case.
    However, as I look at sexy pictures of the tablet in laptop mode, I'm getting second doubts.
    Should I go buy the keyboard separately? For people who has the keyboard, do the updates solve the disconnection issue? Do you think its worth another 100 bucks?

2. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Disconnects were caused by a hardware, not software issue. The tablet is not firmly secured in place well on all the keyboard docks.

If you have any sort of skin on your tablet it should be fine. If you peel off the grip tabs around the connector and add another layer or just thicker double sided tape to them and put them back you'll be fine or you can go ghetto n just put a small piece of tape on top of the tabs themselves.

Otherwise, the tabs just don't have enough grip to firmly hold the tablet inplace leaving it with just a tad bit of wiggle room causing the pins not to meet just right if you move it around abit while docked.

3. hahyun92

I guess this sort of means do not get it for now XD. I think I might take a risk if the keyboard price dips somehow. So disappointing. :(

4. msgnyc

msgnyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Eh, i got one and I've no qualms about getting it again if i had the choice. Its a quick and super simple fix.

5. Vladdie

Vladdie Scribbler - Standard Member

I rarely use mine so it might be worth waiting for the price to drop but it's nice to have it when I need it, for instance when I went on holiday it was good to have it on my knee while my brothers and I watched a movie whereas the stand I use at home wouldn't have worked. And I put together a contents table for a newsletter using the keyboard when lying in bed which again I couldn't really do using my normal stand (which came with the MS Wedge BT Keyboard). I expected to have a few disconnects when I used it in bed but I had none, I was consious of being careful with it though so if you shook it around a lot or something it might have dc'd more. Just make sure you push it to the right when it's slotted in in place to make the connection more secure.

6. ricerocket

ricerocket Pen Pal - Newbie

Love my keyboard dock! Wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again. I also bought my 500T without the keyboard, but it is so much more usable with the keyboard dock. I have not had a single disconnect in the week to 10 days I've had mine. I do have a screen saver on my 500T, so maybe that's why.

My advice: Get it!

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'd say if you can get it from a local store with a good return policy give it a shot. Since the problems seem to vary from KB to KB you might get lucky and get one that works fine. I returned mine, but I do miss the ability to quickly switch to 'laptop mode'.

8. hahyun92

Is staples 99 dollars + 15% off a pretty good deal?

9. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

My experience is I had one which was purchased Dec 15 and was useless. It disconnected all the time. I tried the tape fix recommended here but it made no difference. I then replaced it this week with another (nightmare Samsung customer service story for later) and the new one does not disconnect as often but does disconnect. More annoying is a near constant usb error. I will be returning this one too.

I have a case now for my 500t and will try a zagg flex. 54.00 online. Bluetooth. Should work better but no usb port.

Interesting my Motion LE1700 often gave a similar usb error when attached to the keyboard. It had win 7 but I wonder if there is a software issue here, globally with windows. It seems to me there is a usb power down issue or cpu issue which is contributing to the dock problems, but is not the whole story.

10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Definitely a good deal, I paid 130..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.