Should I get a tablet pc in KL?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by thomasshow, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomasshow

thomasshow Pen Pal - Newbie

I have never purchased any expensive electronics in KL in the past .. always thought its similarly priced in the UK.

However, looking through ebay recently, I noticed a lot of cheap well-specced tablets from HK and China. Typically, the ones with 1ghz cpu, 512mb ram, capacitive 7 - 10in screens, running at least 2.2 Froyo. They are around £120+ (under rm600+) for a 7in version.

Can you get them at these prices in KL? If so, where would you suggest to find a reputable retailer who does not bait & switch? I know about Low Yat and sungei Wang, but with so many dealers there, how would I find a trustworthy one?

Bearing in mind I can get a good well-specced 10in Advent Vega here in UK for £200. So its got to be worth the difference for me to want to buy one in KL.

Thanks in advance.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm afraid I can't answer your question; I'm too far West to know.

But I am very curious about the market in your part of the world. I've found that one can easily buy, sell and trade computers in their own region, but that there are tall trade barriers in place which make it extremely difficult to get one's hands on whole strata of device. -Just trying to buy a Samsung 2-in-1 available in the USA and have it shipped to Canada, for a very simple example, proved to be a ridiculously difficult affair; it almost felt like I was breaking the law, but at least all my co-conspirators spoke English and shared my culture, it was at least possible. Getting one of those cool Chinese tablets we sometimes see mentioned on Eastern trade websites, (like Silkroad), is basically not a real possibility, while for buyers on the other side of the world, it's perfectly normal.

Anyway.., I'm assuming that KL = Kuala Lumpur, (Malaysian currency)..?

Also.., I've never heard of a retailer doing a bait & switch routine on customers. Can you describe what happens with that? We probably have something similar here, but maybe call it by a different name.

Anyway, sorry for not being able to answer your question. Good luck with your search!

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  3. djas

djas Graffiti User

I am Singaporean and have family members (Mrs was a Malaysian) in Sabah and Selangor. Also Brunei. As far as I am aware, most of them take a short hop here to purchase their electronics. I was last at Sungei Wang at least a decade ago so can't help you there.

Welcome to the forums btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.