Should I buy the Ipad/Ipad 2 or a android tablet

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by lynch99, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynch99

lynch99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi im looking to buy a tablet pc but stuck on weather to pick an Ipad or an android tablet such as the motorola xoom or better.
    I like the idea that on the androids you are free from itunes but have heard the android has far less apps, even so I am leaning a little more towards the androids the moment. My main usage would be for internet browsing e.g streaming films, ebooks from amazon mainly, a little video making and a bit of light music production like the korg studio app for the ipad or even something more pro like reason/cubase. So my questions are:

1. Are the currently best rated android tablets (3.0 honeycomb) anywhere near the ipad 2 ?

2. How far off is the android with apps from apple, and if android is currently way behind does it look like this will be improved in the near future ?

3. Can I get an app for reading like Amazons Kindle and a good music produciton app for the androids ?

Im currently leaning more towards the Androids because I dont like the idea that I wouldnt be able to go to a friends house with the ipad and plug into their computer or whatever and that with apple you only use your own itunes.

Any advice will be much appreciated thanks

2. Aztech

Aztech Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried a few tablets at Best Buy. I find the iPad too large for it's interface. iPod/iPhone match up with the size of icons and whatnot.

I tried Windows 7 on tablet. Not what i expected, i found it hard to click the right button and it was an awkward feel.

However Android was pretty nice. The screen has plenty of room for the widgets. Web browsing is convenient, especially on the Asus Transformer that i tried while in Best Buy.

The downfall is definitely the apps. For example, a few apps i have on iPod and i love are: Ant Hill, Infinity Blade, BloonTD4, The Bard's Tale, and a bunch other 3D games id like to play on tablet. I cant get those games for Android.

Another benefit to Android, if you might get interested in building apps, you can just download the development software and start building the app. iOS requires that you use a Mac, which i dont have and wont buy.

Also the Asus Transformer Prime is coming out soon. I tried the Asus Transformer original in Best Buy and loved it. I was going to buy it then i found out the Prime is about to come out, so im waiting for it. I have not tried the Xoom. I went to 4 different stores that have them on display and none of them worked.

3. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm new to Android, (I just bought a Nook Color to play around with), so take this as a beginners view.

The Android app market is huge and growing everyday. And there are multiple markets/sources. (Google, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, other) Also be aware that sheer numbers don't mean much. A lot of apps are just useless crap anyway. Yes you can load Nook and Kindle reading apps independent of the device manufacturer and store your media locally.

I don't know about music production. Would think that would be better left to a more powerful machine with a full OS and a bigger screen.

Windows 7 on a tablet (in whatever form factor) is what you make of it. I've been using it on convertible tablets (swivel top with a keyboard) for several years without issue. It's really not a proper out of box experience though. Much to Microsofts shame it's necessary to tweak a lot of user settings to make it really perform well on a touch screen device.

In general the "tablets" you find at your local retail store can't hold a candle to the full OS Tablet PC's that are regularly discussed around here. Stick around a while. You might find something you like.

4. lynch99

lynch99 Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for your comments, i think i will take your advice an wait to see what tablets come out in the near future as they are evolving at such a pace its hard to keep up.
    thanks.

5. Jamison Cush

Jamison Cush TechnologyGuide Editor Staff Member

6. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

Take a look at a Sony S Tablet. It is an awesome device and IMO rivals the iPad2

7. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

If you're also going to use the tablet for music performance, then the only way for it to sound like any kind of professional instrument is to have a professional audio converter hooked up.... at least something by M-Audio. In that respect, only a machine with a full OS will have the CPU, software, drivers and USB connections to do it. And that means a Windows tablet since that's the only way to get the hardware power with a tablet interface.

:)ensen.

8. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

Could be but my Sony S Tablet has better speakers then my laptop. :)

9. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

You sound like a fan... boy oh boy!

:)ensen.

10. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

Of my Sony S? Absolutely! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.