Should Apple Merge iOS and MacOS

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by dstrauss, Oct 8, 2018.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Decided to move an ongoing discussion over in the Surface threads about the possibilities surrounding the A series chip coming to the MacBook platform, and even the merger of iOS and MacOS over time - REMEMBER - "NO" in Apple speak means "not-a-now":

@desertlap - I like the concept of an iOS/MacOS hybrid, but that cuts out one sale per transaction, even if you up the overall price. It's just not in Apple's economic self interest to merge the two. I think we are more likely to see @Chris_Kez 's concept of bifurcating the MacOS between A series chips (MacBook and iMac) and top end Intel on the MacBook Pro, but even then they eventually have to put everything on an A series chip as supporting two platforms would be a nightmare.

Oops - sorry for the hijack folks - will copy this over to the Apple forum for any further discussion.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Not owning any macOS devices I don't know how far along this is, but it seems that as soon as Apple adds touch screens on their laptops and allows full-blown iOS apps to run on the desktop, users could decide for themselves if they mind hitting a launcher button to start maciOS and run their favorite app. One challenge: keeping the file systems separate, or at least having the mac side of things not accessible by the apps. Tricky/inelegant.

Now this would be an un-apple thing to do, opening them up to criticism along the lines of 'look you have to use your sharpened fingertips at tiny macOS UI elements'. If they do it anyway and ignore that criticism, Win10 hybrids would instantly be left in the dust, given the huge collection of touch apps on iOS.

But: it seems like Apple wouldn't do this without being able to say "but we did it the right way", and I can't really think of a big paradigm shift that would allow them to say that. Plus I think it's in their best interest to sell people both a mac and an iPad for "light productivity". I guess I'm still in the 'won't happen' camp, but who knows.

So to your question: should they merge the two? In my opinion no. But should they add touch screens. In my opinion a thousand times yes.

3. dstrauss

I doubt they will ever add touch to the MacBooks without a merger, and I think a merger is far in the future at best. My gut tells me they really want to add better keyboards to the iPad Pro ("What is a computer campaign?") and put the average Joe on iPad and us office drones and power users on MacBook Pro.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

iOS and Mac OS X will remain separate for no reason other than the security gain of iOS not having a native development environment, and the sandboxing which that entails.

Mac OS X will remain as a development / power user platform for the foreseeable future.

FWIW, I'm seriously tempted by getting:

- iPad Pro
    - Apple Pencil
    - Mac Mini
    - Astropad Duet to control the Mac Mini when at home

But would really be much happier w/ an Axiotron Modbook running 10.6.8 (or better still, Apple licensing Mac OS X to run on tablets such as my Samsung Galaxy Book 12)

5. dstrauss

I'm so reluctant to jump off into the iPad Pro 11 water because of the lack of a real file system - their "workaround" sucks and even the best of the alternatives, like Filebrowser, are mere shells of File Explorer and a true file system in the OS.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, that's a major stumbling point for me, and along w/ the expense of it, the reason I haven't --- if I'd not been successful at rolling back to before Fall Creator's Update, I'd've done it though.

I really wish Apple would license Mac OS X, or someone would work up an easy to install Linux distribution, though I'm beginning to wonder just how much work I could get done in an emulated PC running OPENSTEP 4.2.

7. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No need of merging. MacOS should be able to do everything that - watchOS/tvOS/iOS/macOS can do.

iOS should be able to do everything that watchOS/tvOS/iOS can do,

tvOS should be able to do what ever watchOS can show besides the TV and "games" experience.

watchOS just needs to be watchOS.

Siri on homepod needs to take tuitions from Cortana.

i need a venn diagram now. Missing my Note3neo already. Oneplus5 may be fast but it can't write.