Shoul I bother with the extended warranty

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ziger, Aug 14, 2008.

1. stjasonl

stjasonl Pen Pal - Newbie

I have gone through like 3 notebooks and I have never paid for an extended warranty and I never needed one. I figure ifthere are some crappy parts they should break before the end of a year of heavy use. The only thing with the tablet is that there seems like more could go wrong, most moving parts I can fix myself, I'm comfortable taking a notebook apart and putting it back together.

So I guess my question is wether there is anything I'm not seeing (are the screens more delicate than on a notebook) how much would a new hinge cost on ebay? I mean the only part worth paying for the extended war. is the screen it the only part that costs more than the warranty

sorry for the spelling

2. nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts Scribbler - Standard Member

You know this can be subjective. I have never bought warranty for my laptop but when I did purchase the HP laptop from a friend (brand new) it came with a 3 year warranty (parts and labor).

After a year of use, things started falling apart on it, latch not latching, enter button not responding and all I had to do was call HP support, they send you a box which has all the materials you need to pack your laptop nice and safely and send it back. Theoretically, it should return to you in 7 days (they ship it next day back and forth). I say theoretically because I'll tell you in a moment below.

The point is, they have replaced parts without any hassle almost to brand new status and not one penny came out of my pockets from beginning to end. Other than lost time of use.

Overall, my experience have been 50/50. Pro 50 in that I have gotten free parts, even an full upgrade to the latest model TC4400 to 2710P because they couldn't provide a specific part to repair on my old TC4400 and then some.

The Con 50 in that HP has the worst support ever. Expect to receive your laptop later than the "expected" statements they give you. Expect to call them over and over and over. Check out the forums here and check out the forums on other sites and you'll see the stories with "battling HP customer service".

So now, is it worth it? So far for me, new (refurb) 2710p, dock, ram, etc. versus my old tc4400 when all is said and done. Yes. it's worth it.

Would I want to go through it again. Hellz! No! I guess you have to get pain to get something :rolleyes:

3. stjasonl

stjasonl Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you think there are more parts that could break it a tablet compaired to a notebook though?

4. nutsnbolts

It depends on how much you baby your laptop. Psychologically, when everyone buys something new, everyone is very careful with it, they take the time to do "extra" things to keep it "new".

As time goes by, you become a little more relaxed with it and I have stuffed my laptop in the bag without any worries, placed it down on surfaces that I technically wouldn't have and these things are general wear and tear.

The latch for instance just broke. It didn't drop, it just broke due to wear and tear. Opening and closing, latching and unlatching.

You can't tell whether something really bad is going to happen or whether you will ever need to have a use for the warranty.

Laptop versus Tablet, it's still a laptop with a screen that spins. More moveable parts, ok..perhaps more suseptible to breaking?

If you have the money, spend it on the warranty. On the other hand, I can't advise you to not get a warranty for I have seen what it can do for me.

5. maroon93

maroon93 Pen Pal - Newbie

Similarly with myself, I had never purchased an extended warranty, whether it be from the manufacturer or from an official retail store like Best Buy, just never wanted to invest more money than I had to at the time. However, for the tx2000, I decided to get Best Buy's extended warranty for 2 years for roughly $200 (I was actually able to get them to reduce it from $290).

I just put everything into perspective and figured that for $200 or even $300, that's cheaper than paying HP to replace the display if anything faulty were to ever happen. I live in Canada so the winter's can be pretty cold and that could play some part with any problems I might encounter. I have a friend that recently had to send in his HP Laptop for the 3rd time already! For his case, the extended warranty definitely paid off as he had to get the display and motherboard replaced.

Again, it's all subjective stjasonl. Like nutsnbolts mentioned, you can't predict what defects might arise. You mentioned that you have no problem replacing parts yourself therefore you wouldn't have to worry about any kind of shipping costs. Like you mentioned, the display is probably one of the few things of this tablet that would cost more than the warranty itself. However, if you have more than one problem (eg. dead motherboard, bad hinge, etc.), the cost might just add up to being more than the warranty in the end.

6. nutsnbolts

Another thing to note is the following... I never sent it in to have memory replaced. I Can do that myself I have installed a WWan card, Bluetooth, replaced the LCD on my own. Instead of relying oh them to do it at their leisure If you are technologically inclined. you can have them send you the part.

It does get scary but I have done it several times.

Either way. they do pay for both shipping there and back. Next day air. So that is good

7. Aemer

Aemer Pen Pal - Newbie

I say screw the warranty

it's true that for some it pays off

But on a 900 $ laptop, if you plan on keeping it for 2 years, you raise the price on the second year from 450 to 650 -a 40-50% price increase for what will then be 1 year old hardware

while a 2 year lifecycle may not seem like a lot, on a machine like this, its fine - a hp2710p is easily double the price, so you would have to keep it twice as long to get it down to a comparable price.

in two years time, when you spend 900 on a tx4ooo, and your friend is stuck with his hp 2710p for another trio years, you front be sorry at all. And yes, not having a warranty might force you to change sooner than 2 years, but if you have a good stable economy, you can either take a hit and buy spare parts during year 2, or you can switch early and salvage the old machine for spare parts and sell them on ebay.

the only people i see a long warranty being suited for are people who need expenses to be regular, and cant take time out of their daily lives to manage sudden problems.

for a person like you who expect to use the tablet a lot, you will likely be better off just getting a new one fairly often, imo

8. CTSxViper

CTSxViper Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly too, I think warrantys make a lot of sense on the much more expensive laptops, where you need them to last longer because of how much you invested in them. Basically recapping what Aemer said.. :)

9. nutsnbolts

Aemer has some good points as well.

I never buy warranty, as I have stated above, a 3 year warranty came with a TC4400 that I bought off a friend. It lasted a good 1-2 years or so before I started to take advantage of the warranty.

What I got out of the warranty:

TC4400
    -Memory
    -new screen
    -new keyboard

2710P (replaced the tc4400 when they couldn't replace anything else)
    -new 2710p (refurb)
    -wwan card
    -port replicator
    -high capacity battery
    -bluetooth

Overall, I made out like a bandit.

10. bryank

bryank Pen Pal - Newbie

My tc4200 screen failed after 2 years on included 3 year warranty. HP replaced with a tc4400. New computer had remaining 1 year of warranty. In my experience my laptops fail between 2-3 years. So I just bought extra year for $150. Current tc4400 has had some bugs and will have to go back in when i get another computer.

BK