Shock!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

where do you get them? from what I found at dictionary.com, to

emulate: To imitate the function of (another system), as by modifications to hardware or software that allow the imitating system to accept the same data, execute the same programs, and achieve the same results as the imitated system.

means to basically use a computer as something else. you mentioned nintendo. what and where. please be a bit more descriptive

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

Let's be clear, most emulators are open source or homegrown apps, very few legit companies produce them because of potential lawsuits. This means support is usually poor and you have to be willing to do much of the legwork yourself. There are some commercial emulators like Virtual PC from Microsoft and VMWare (my personal fave). These emulate a PC on the PC. While this may seem odd at first they are stellar tools for running Linux in a VM (Virtual Machine) or for that matter a different version of Windows (say you have XP as your main OS, but want to use Win98 as well). As a developer these are priceless. You can set up WinXP, Win2000, & WinNT (for example) make an new version of the application and then test in each environment all from one machine. When the testing is done you can restore the VM to its original state and you are ready for the next test. These emulators only emulate the hardware, they assume you have licenses for whatever OS you put on it.

As far as Nintendo emulators go specifically I can't tell you. As a developer I do not advocate piracy in any way, if I did it would be giving a green light for others to steal my stuff and I assure you I am strongly opposed to that. Again, emulating the Nintendo is not illegal, however each of the games is copyrighted and therefore unless you own the original cartridge/disk is illegal to have a copy. Further, making dump files of games puts you in a grey area legally anyway. Since even to be in this "grey area" I'd still have to pay for each game frankly they play just as well on the gamecube and I avoid all of the legal pitfalls.

3. poetdante

oh so it is not free? I miss the good old download days. why can't the music company learn that they can't stop downloads. people find new ways. like satelite. you have satelite chanels by band (group) which you can put on a special mp3 recorder thingy. but I do agree with the nintendo bit. see, I have really old and rare games. had em since childhood. now, I love the idea of the Nintendo revolution and how you can play old games via download, but it comes out next year. i will have to google it. and another copyright problem now is sheet music. will this never end. I wish they would just give up and let it go.

4. Daring

Daring Moderator

The emulators are generally free. The game images may be free too, but it will depend on the author if they wish to release them to the public domain.

As far as giving up and letting it go, I wouldn't bet on it. People spend a great deal of time developing intellectual property and without protection it could be copied without compensation to the originator. This removes the incentive to be original since you may not be the one benefitting from your hard work.

If I recall correctly you plan a career in medicine. What if after years of study and research you develop a drug to cure some disease. Will you really expect no compensation? I would hope not. It will give you a justified reward for your efforts and perhaps even give you funding for the development of your next great medicine.

Software, music, video, etc. is no different. People work hard to make them and should be compensated.

5. poetdante

well for one thing medicine ownership only lasts a few years. after that it is free game to anyone. I have no prob with that because from that I can get enough money. and as for the incentive part, what about all those open source things like firefox and all of its wonderful extensions? But I agree about the compensation part. But in terms of music, don't they make like hundreds of thousands of dollars from concerts and record deals? CDs in general are too expensive for me to get and I would not want to pay $20 for a cd that I have heard only 3 songs on, as is the case most of the time. Neither do I want to pay for songs that have so much security on them that the song size is twice what it should be, thereby lessening my ability to store all the music that I want. everything needs an experation date. i think that if songs had a certain number of months or years, like until they became unpopular or replaced by another song, then people would have a little more incentive to wait. on the other hand if companies want to sell more cds they should make it more worthwhile to the buyer with extra stuff. And getting back to the medicine thing, people find cures for the good of others, not for a paycheck. Also, you get funded for that stuff. from that you get your paycheck. and in addition to that, you are then a research scientists. being a doctor you get paid hourly wages and such.

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

A bit of a mystery I admit. While Firefox has not gone this way, Linux is also open source. Companies commit programming resources and give the program away hoping for revenue in terms of service and support.

They do. However the record deals typically come from record companies who produce the CDs and sell them to consumers to recover their costs and make some money for the company.

I must be going to greedy doctors and taking medicines from greedy pharmacutical companies. I am an epileptic and I see a neurologist twice a year. The typical exam lasts < 20 minutes and bills my insurance $192, thats about $600/hour pretty decent hourly wage in my book. Even if after you subtract out overhead, etc. I figure he has to be taking home $200,000/yr minimum. As for my meds, they come in right around $90 for a 30 day supply, seems like somebody is making money there too.

Look it comes down to this. If you think that software is too expensive, don't buy it. If you think that music is too expensive don't buy it. Just be aware that unless the music/software is free, you are stealing. You can justify it anyway you want, but that is still the bottom line.

7. poetdante

you get to see a neurologist. luck. I study neurology in my spare time. sorry to here you are an epilectic. As for the salary it is around 277000 average for neurologists. the drugs are another matter. did you know pharmacuticals is the only legally allowed monopoly in the US? If you have an orphan's disease, that is it affects less than 10,000 people world wide, you get exclusive rights to that drug. Yes I know epilepcy is not such a disease. Also, the patent on drugs only lasts about 10yrs after it is aproved, and that can take years more. Doctors need to charge a lot because they studied hard to do so. some doctors charge more than others. Pharmacuticals on the other hand can charge a lot because so many people depend on them. There are many cases where whole insurance companies went bankrupt becuase of the drug cost alone. now, there are different and numerous variables to all of this. Hey wait a sec, how did we get onto this topic from emulators or whatever [/rhetorical question][/rant]

8. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

The Mac vs. Microsoft us. Linux debate usually just shows me idiotic brand loyalty. Even the CEO of this Christian book company says "Macs just work" as if they are idiot proof. Granted, they are easy ( is the right click button and menu that difficult to learn??)but I hate going up to the menu bar to do any changes. I've installed a printer on a Mac -- what a nightmare. I hope most switch to MAC so that they can have the virus and spyware problems that PC users have. All have problems. I use what works and what is the most cost effective and what is available for it.

9. poetdante

well there are two reasons why macs are used in elementry schools (the one I went to at least). mac was the lowest bidder. or macs are safer in terms of not crashing as much

10. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

Macs were the lowest bidder?
    That'd be a first...

I would agree with you pre-XP on the crashing part, but I've had this copy of XP on two different computers (motherboard/chip fried and I used the same HD) and haven't reinstalled for about 3 years now and I haven't had a crash or problem yet besides some java stuff in MSIE.
    I'm more than happy with XP. I've seen errors on Macs and Linux for that matter almost as often as 98SE.

I just want people to be happy with whatever they choose by getting whatever works. If people like the pros and cons of their choice, I won't argue it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.