Shock!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That was 8 months ago and just some dude. I'm not sure it's shocking, but he does outline some valid issues.

3. poetdante

Blashemer!

4. kingjimmi

kingjimmi Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow Dante, you're taking the zealot role a little far. It's really not that funny or cute. Mostly sad. I would hope that our younger generation would take a more reasoned approach to things rather than this rabid fanboy thing you have going.

What's wrong with Mr. Hyatt saying the tablet wasn't right for him? He bought it primarily to take notes, but realized that the tablet pc didn't actually improve his workflow. Accept his statements for what they are. The tablet pc is not for everyone. Oh well, no reason to hate the guy. He seems like a fine upstanding citizen, President and CEO of a major Christian Publishing house. Maybe you should just read his blog for what it is . . .

It is clear by reading your posts Dante that you're here at this forums to push an agenda. Maybe if you laid off a bit and came with more reasoned responses you would earn more respect.

5. poetdante

nothing wrong. I was just trying to carry the joke to far. sorry. and I will take your advice into consideration.

6. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Um...

"peace and love, peace and love - all I really want is peace and love"

- Fountains of Wayne

7. poetdante

that made me think of a beatles song. ok. in this topic anything tablet pc shocking news can be posted ok?

8. Daring

Daring Moderator

You can't trust this Hyatt guy's judgement anyway, I mean he did flip to the dark side and get a Mac ;) .

I have to tell you that while I am not a huge advocate of the Mac, and in spite of why Mr. Hyatt says it has not been my experience that "everything just works" I will say that their interface feels polished. I liked it so much I undertook trying to make my desktop interface feel more Mac like. Huge mistake, the add on tools just don't get it. What I did find out is that in terms of brand loyalty, Mac people really are rabid (no seriously, just by pointing out some of the PCs strong points I feared that somehow they would track me down and inject me with some Mac serum or something... :D )

9. Kenobi

Kenobi Pen Pal - Newbie

My friend and I were Mac zealots for a very long time. Granted, my buddy was always a degree more fanatic than I was being that I made sure I was never doing any of that crusading we see so often, but I sure was dedicated. I mean, one doesn't have to go very far to see the benefits, whether it's the simple and beautiful interface, the system efficiency, or the fact that you're not Microsoft. Aside from games, which you could (cough) always get one way or another, compatability's not an issue either.

My friend's still a Mac zealot and I'm still sort of anti-Microsoft, but when Apple announced that they were going Intel, my heart was broken, and I was no longer an Apple zealot. It was as if Steve Jobs had sold our collective soul to Intel, after all, and that was lame. Ever since Apple's fall from grace, I've been "homeless," as I muse. That is to say, since Apple became just another company, I've lacked a favorite computer company, and the list of near-favorites has no order either, sadly.

And now, I hear that Apple is joined the list of vendors that'll be selling their computers with TPM chips... Looks like I'll be "homeless" for a long, long time. =(

10. Daring

Daring Moderator

Sorry to hear that your "homeless" your welcome in our home anytime. However I must tell you I just don't get the whole anti-Microsoft/anti-Intel thing. I use a computer to get work done. If MS/Intel will do it then I use it. Apple has a great box, with a fantastic interface. UI is Apples strong suit, the iPod is another example of this. What sets the iPod apart is not that it can play MP3 files, dozens of players do that. What sets it apart is the UI. If Apple/Intel can build a good box that costs less or has other benefits (Intel is the current leader in low power processors, this will be good for the notebook segment of Apples line. Every indication is that new computer purchases are trending away from desktops toward laptops), then why is it bad? It may mean grabbing a larger segment of the market share which will cause the competitors to work harder as well.

I'll be frank with you, I am a software developer and I code on PCs for two reasons only. 1. There are many more tools/apps for the PC then the Mac that make my life easier. 2. When looking for a job most companies aren't looking for Mac skills they want PC skills. Until Apple can regain a 15-20% market share (my opinion), will large numbers of developers or enterprises start moving to the Mac.

Finally, again my opinion, Apple should break itself into a software and hardware division. By doing so it allows businesses to puchase the hardware based on price/features needed and not be tied into a specific vendor. For example if I need a ruggedized Mac (or for that matter a tablet) this isn't really something that Apple even manufactures. Their may be third party solutions, but now I'm dealing with a smaller company which after working in large businesses is not what they are looking for.

It also allows businesses the flexibility to decide what OS will run on those boxes based on business need. What is currently driving Linux into the business environment is the fact that it is totally hardware independent. It will run on just about any hardware. Don't kid yourself, this scares MS to no end and IMHO, could well be the OS that gives MS a run for their money if they can bring the ease of use up a bit. I hope Apple goes this route too. That way if "the killer app" comes out for Mac and a business has to have it, they simply re-deploy the OS on existing hardware without the expense of having to purchase entirely new hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.