SHIP: Stylus/Handwriting Input Panel for Linux

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by pibach, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I stumbled across a quite new project trying to get handwriting recognition to the Linux platform. In contrast to previous approaches they do not try to program their own recognition engine, but to reuse the Vista one. As far as I understood, this approach requires to run Vista in a virtual machine, then it has a small server application that handles the recognition API over to the Linux environment. There, a TIP-like applet communicates the ink to the Vista recognition engine which reports the converted text results back. As the client applet is written in Java, this could potentially run on any OS, inlcuding MacOS. Also this could run remote over wireless, having the recognition engine on a capable hardware anywhere remote. So it could potentially support handhelds and smartphones as well. Quite encourraging approach, isn't it?

You can find the SHIP-Project here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ship-project/

I did not test the SHIP software myself yet and it seems to be in preliminary beta stage, but promising.

What do you think?

2. Surfer666

Surfer666 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm I wonder if something like this can be made for Windows XP. That's about the only feature I hear that is better in Vista than in XP

(So far I haven't had any other issues using XP though)

3. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

I'm really liking ritePen on XP this past week or so......

4. tC_Crazy

tC_Crazy Pen Pal - Newbie

That seems to me like it would be a very slow process. Having Vista (very resource-intensive) handle the dirty work over a VM seems like it would only work in really fast systems. However, I could be completely wrong. Maybe I'll try that out when my HP arrives.

5. pibach

Yes, sound like complex and resource-intensive. But maybe I did not understand the process correctly, as there isn't much info available, except for a SHIP User Manual (included when you download the ship_0.9.3.tar.gz file)
    It requires a "MS Ink Server" on top of IIS on a Windows System, and it communicates via TCPI/IP. Maybe this complex picture is much simpler if someone could volunteer to provide the MS Ink Server as a free Web Service? Don't know if this would be legally correct though...

6. bcw

bcw Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it is complex, but then, handwriting recognition is a "hard" problem. I welcome someone writing freely available code to provide this, but in the meantime, I thought this would do the job, and allow development of linux Tablet applications now, ready for the day when we can then discard the MS component.

The system works quite well now. I'm planning the next generation, which will remove the requirement for a running copy of Windows with IIS, etc. The recognition will then be "always on" as a system service, so we can use written "ink" as a primary, persistent data format (Latent Recognition), instead of an intermediary that gets immediately translated to text and then discarded (Immediate Recognition).

I've been quite busy with matters that cropped up in my personal life, but that seems to be settling. In all this time, with all the downloads Sourceforge has recorded, no one has told me they had a problem, so I assume it has been working as well for them as it has for me (otherwise shame on them for not saying so).

Cheers.

7. pibach

Anybody has tried it and can report results? Does it work?

8. bcw

bcw Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

These folks say it does:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1147022

As one of them mentions, it works even better with the Free java 6.

I'm gearing up to start on the next generation. I'd still love to hear from a good Windows COM/WINE programmer.

Cheers,
    bcw

Written in cursive on my ST5112 slate tablet booting Gentoo.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015