Share your desk setup thread!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 3, 2014.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I'm using Windows 10 and so far this setup as been perfect from a scaling perspective, all my apps scale well. I typically have 2 side by side windows on the 2 external monitors and full windowed apps on the SP3, the S3 is my reading/notes device.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm using Windows 10 too, but that doesn't make one of my main apps (NoMachine) scale well. There are others, but that one is the deal breaker in my case... Hopefully some day the developers will make it more scaling friendly... but since it is forwarding floating X-windows, it may be more complicated.

3. jnjroach

Understood....

4. Mesosphere

So... you guys inspired me to finally pull the trigger on the 4k TV as a monitor idea I had been mulling around in order to bring my home office setup into closer parity with my work setup =)

With the new baby, my wife has been wanting me to work from home a lot more, but the big downgrade in work area made this painful. At work I have ~11.1 million pixels covering ~7.2 ft^2 to spread my windows out in. The downside of this is, once you get used to it, it is hard to go back. At home I only had one 27" QHD monitor (~3.6 million pixels ~2.2 ft^2).

For awhile I had been eyeing the 43" Vizio 4k TV (8.3 million pix, 5.5 ft^2). Adding this to my existing monitor would bump my home screen real estate to 12 million pixels and ~7.6 ft^2 making it pretty close to my setup at work. It had been tempting because the Vizio was only $550, which is a small fraction of what my high end monitors at work cost. Also, since it was 4K, it wasn't a downgrade in PPI compared to a regular computer monitor like it is with a large FHD TV. With the help of a juicy rationalization to my wife that it would result in me working from home more, I got the OK =)

Initially I was in love. It was a great TV for the money, but I quickly realized a deal breaking corner they had cut (no doubt to lower the price). The TV did not have so called "4:4:4 chroma" support. Essentially, this means that the color information is at only half the resolution of the luma information (brightness). This is done because our eyes are less sensitive to small changes in color than they are in brightness. For video this makes a lot of sense, but for a computer monitor where you want to be able to read small fonts... not so much. So, sadly, I had to @dstrauss it, and it went back to Best Buy. Fortunately, I learned the 2015 Samsung 4k TVs do have 4:4:4 chroma @60 Hz, but the closest size to 43" is the 40" model and it costs $700...

Surprisingly, my wife OK'd buying the smaller and more expensive Samsung TV (I must have earned a lot of points helping with the kids lately). So far, I'm really happy with it. It took some tweaking of the TV to make it look good as a monitor (when I first turned it on it didn't look that much better than the Vizio). Finally, here is my new home office setup:

20150928_193023 (1280x638).jpg

Since it is smaller, I don't have quite as much square footage as I do at work (~6.9 ft^2), but I do have a few more pixels =) There are some downsides vs. work. My work monitors are top of the line IPS panels, and my home monitors are ... not. The QHD monitor is IPS, but a cheap bare-bones generic one, and the Samsung TV is ... dunno, but it doesn't seem like IPS. Still, the home setup is plenty nice to look at after I got it properly adjusted. My tech thirst has been quenched for the time being =)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

What connection do you use?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. Mesosphere

HDMI 2.0... Which brings up a hidden cost I neglected to mention. I had to upgrade my gpu to a GTX 960 to get support for that. It wasn't absolutely necessary. 4k is possible with HDMI 1.4, but only at 30 Hz. To get 60 Hz you need 2.0. Display port can also handle it, but tv's tend not to have those.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Some primer on connecting 4k monitors would be great, at the time being it requires a true desktop where you can switch out a graphics card it seems, but I'm probably not alone in wanting to upgrade to 4k in the near future when I use my Surface in stationary mode. Very few of us still had the experience. For me it was the first I ever heard about 4:4:4 Chrome. Knowledge is sorely lacking.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

8. Mesosphere

Well it is easier if you use a true computer monitor with a display port. If you look at @jnjroach's setup a couple pages up he is driving his 4k monitor at 50Hz using his SP3 (why not 60Hz BTW?). To get sizes well above ~30" that I wanted there are very few options in true computer monitors and most were very expensive, so that is why I was looking at the TVs. TVs usually only have HDMI ports. With HDMI you need 2.0 to get 60Hz and that is only just now showing up in graphics cards. The Nvidia 900 series is the only one that currently supports it to my knowledge.

One limitation I read about with respect to true computer monitors is that DP 1.2 doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so watching some 4k content like 4K blurays won't work... not that this was really my goal.

The Wikipedia page on Chroma subsampling is pretty decent, and a list of TVs that support 4:4:4 Chroma is here.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. jnjroach

I'm using 50Hz because the 4K monitor I was issued is a 30Hz monitor, but works at 50Hz :D

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. Mesosphere

Nice =)