Share your desk setup thread!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

@stoneseeker
    It sure does.
    Yes, you can use the same pen.
    Best part is it's solely USB powered meaning it's completely mobile.
    If I can get the second one repaired I'll sell it to you for a solid price, y'know, the whole community spirit 'n all. ;)
    I'll post a thread about the repair process soon, I've got a few questions which some of you may be able to help answer.
    From first glance it appears that the USB 5-pin port has snapped off its solder. I'm yet to do a full tear-down, it could be deeper than just the USB port.

The express keys are a great asset too.

Who'd you give you Cintiq 15x pl-550 away to?

@Burgundy

Cheers. :)

Oh wow.... That's awesome.
    I had a good chuckle at the 70/80's remote dealeo. I've gotta say they kinda took the piss there, suction cups? Really?
    Still, minus that (although handy) the screen itself has some pretty solid specs this time around.

I'm actually not that far from Melbourne, if I get some spare time I might chase down Lion to check them out.
    I know some people who are keen for a Cintiq/Alternative.

It'd be great to use both versions of the Yiynova at once, it's been a blast using two screens myself.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If you get it working consider it sold! I'd be keen on replacing the 15x for animation timelines and such.
    I gave the 15x to a girl in our studio who is still getting on her feet and doesn't have anything but an old Wacom bamboo. I lost the power cord when our studio moved locations somehow, so she only has to get the power supply from Ebay ($65) and I told her she could have it... I was looking for an alternative anyway, the resolution is soooo low on it it's kind of frustrating for me.
    I doubt I could have gotten more than $200 for it anyway.

T-ravisty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You're a prince, Stone!

I remember when higher-ups helped me get started and it meant the world to me!

Pay it forward, bro!

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

OMG! YOU PULLED THE TRIGGER!

Can't wait to see your review!

:D

5. T-ravisty

Sweet. Here's hoping it can be repaired!

Ah, you're a legend! Always good to give a helping hand when possible.

I've been meaning to ask how you're allowed to use your own setup at work?
    Whenever I've done any studio work they're all paranoid and I am forced to use one of their setups - which is 80% of the time an iMac or MacPro, I can understand the reasoning because of the OS workflow but most of the software is cross-OS compatible. I just miss Windows after a while (although I've got to say, once OSX is properly emulated on Linux, BAM I am so there!).
    Aren't they worried about you "stealing" their work? Teach me your ways of coercion, oh wise Seeker of the Stone.

6. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

@T-ravisty

Yeah, well I'll give the remote a chance, even though it could have been more, especially for it's size, the suction cups sounds hilarious indeed, but hey we are dealing with gorilla glass surface, so makes sense in a way, but that thing needs at least 10 buttons, could probably easily have fitted those in the area of the 5 buttons.

You should give it a look, would be nice to see what kind of demonstration Lion would show and what kind of models to be presented. Maybe you even would get a glimpse of the other new ones, although the 27" seems to be by the end of this year.

It would certainly be very interesting if the two screens work together, they use the same driver, but whether the driver supports two of such screens is another story, now I really hope so, would probably also require changing the set up quite a bit to make it work, if one was a touch screen it would be even better, but I got an idea where to place it, if it works out. xD

@thatcomicsguy

Aye I did, hehe, it looked like they wouldn't be switching the board tech for this year, and the mvp22u+rh(v4) looks like the best thing, for the next half year or so. It's currently stuck at the nearest distribution center, They shipped it so damn fast too (1 hour after) but thanks to it being a holiday here in Denmark today, I might first get it on monday. T_T

T-ravisty and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hah, well it's no secret. I'm just fortunate to work with a very flexible studio, not a large corporate slave studio. We are an animation boutique of 80 employees situated in a renovated barn/cabin on a lake, doing large contracts for larger clients most of the time. We sign NDA of course, but how we prefer to work is up to us so long as the end result is achieved and their is no issues with compatability. We have a fleet of new iMac for anyone who needs a computer, and PC workstations for the after FX teams. Since I have traveled a lot over the years and been with the company since it was quite tiny, I tend to work from away so the T902 and previous laptops were the best fit for my work situation. I recently got given a larger desk and monitor that could act like a docking bay for my T902 when I worked at studio. I also get to work from coffee shops or home whenever I feel like a change of scenery. I'm well aware this is not normal, and I'm quite blessed with the studio I am at!

T-ravisty, Azzart and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. T-ravisty

@Burgundy
    I look forward to a review. ;)

@stoneseeker
    You have scored an awesome job there, man.
    Sounds very loose and laid back - minus the actual work part.

9. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

This is my home set up. I do most of my live streaming on this rig rather than on my Modbook. I wish I had more time at home to use it, I love this whole rig.

IMG_5360.JPG

ron2k_1, Mesosphere and T-ravisty like this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think that is the same case I used for my main workhorse server =)