Share your desk setup thread!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Every self respecting accountant keeps a lethal ancient blade on their desk!
    Accountant ninja. ;)

thatcomicsguy, ron2k_1 and Mesosphere like this.
  2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Yeah. Every now and again you have to make offers to people they can't refuse. Lol.

It's actually a letter opener. But no self respecting geek accountant will have this instead:
    [​IMG]

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

3. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh man, it's been quite some time since I've viewed this thread.
    A lot has changed since my last setup... A LOT... For starters, I have room now! Ha.
    I'm not cramped in this tiny little space anymore. :)

Anyway, this first photo is from March 2014.
    I had just moved into a new place, had nothing, no money, nothing.
    Had been sleeping on a futon for a few months with everything in boxes.
    Before this first photo I had been using just that fold up table and a small wooden shelf and a whicker basket as a chair (the height of luxury) as my desk.
    Yeaaapppp.... No money and highly stressed after a falling out of a long-term relationship - Awesome.
    Then I finally had money and went on a splurge (first thing, a bed - Jesus Christ, futons are designed by Satan himself- the most uncomfortable things to sleep on!)

Desk_01.jpg

The second photo is from December 2014.
    Yeah, big change.
    I had worked my ass off for everything in that room, pulling 60+ hour weeks from working as a cook and pushing out as much freelance prostitution as possible. I seriously sold my soul with some of the rubbish work I did - business cards, some horrible infomercial for some drop-kick company that will most-likely screw peoples lives up (I needed money, they had money - I kinda had to ignore some morals for a few months), ect.... I was one hell of a sellout! (Btw, it's amazing how resourceful you become when you have bugger-all!).

Desk_02.jpg

So the second photo is when I finally reached a more stable time, stress levels were down tenfold.
    The laptops in the foreground are my sister's and brother-in-law's - Isn't Christmas great? If you're the techie one in the family they come to you with all their problems! Ha.
    I made the monitor stand out of pine and bolts as the legs, I also made the bookshelf too.
    The DTU-2232 (Cintiq looking thing) is on an adjustable monitor stand that cost $185.00 instead of the $350.00 Ergotrons, issue is that it has the tendency to not stay in position so I have to wedge a set of pliers to stop it flying up. You get what you pay for I guess.

... Yeah... That was a rubbish year.
    On the plus side though I did get my DTU-2231 (Cintiq looking thing) on gumtree for AUD $450.00 which was awesome, so not all of 2014 was bad.

Oh yeah, I also have a 3D Printer in my wardrobe now... That's normal, right?

Printer.jpg

4. T-ravisty

How do you find the Yiynona and what tablet monitor are you planning on getting next?

+1 for Nostromo!

(Sorry for the Double-post)

5. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Wow! You had a rough 2014 mate!

And I thought my first year after college was hell. I did have to sleep on a futon too for some time. My wardrobe was a broom stick I nailed on the wall. At least twice every year I'd have water to my knees inside the apartment due to torrential rains. Ahhh man, you brought me memories.

You have a nice setup now tho. Congo-ratz!

I'll clean my set up at home. I don't have much there - just an adjustable glass drafting table with a Cool Master Ergostand for my x230t, and couple drawers for natural media supplies (lots of mechanical pencils with lots and lots of refills) when I was still into pencil sketching.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. T-ravisty

Ha, it wasn't the best year, but it was one hell of a learning curve.

Living rough is fun in a way, it makes for some great stories and teaches you to really respect what little you have!
    Can't say I'd like to go back to how it was, but I'm better for it I guess.
    Love the broom stick on the wall idea! I might steal that idea if I ever fall into rough times again.
    Luckily I haven't had any flooding.

Thanks. It's a pretty great setup.
    I'm wanting to eventually upgrade the monitor to a 27", build a desktop, and then have a triple monitor setup.
    It's getting crazy when two monitor's just aren't enough space for your workflow!
    I need something with better colour accuracy for print.

I'm interested your x230t setup.
    Love this TPC to bits. Just wish the ExpressCard port would work though.
    It reads things sometimes, just not all the time. :/

In regards traditional media, I found this comic a few days ago - it made me rather sad.
    I need to do more oil painting. Ahhhh.... Not enough hours in the day!

tumblr_nmljtkUUpO1qzax1xo2_r1_500.png

7. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Nostromo ftw, a hidden gem.

The Yiynova msp19u+ is actually really good for drawing/sketching, solid and stable software, a bit lacking in custom keys, the glass screen is glossy, if you are used to a more matte screen which got the paper texture this might annoy you, the model I got is just outdated though, screen/panel wise, only 1600x900 resolution and low grade tft/lcd, so bad viewing angles. I'm aiming for the upcoming newer 22"/27" yiynova tablet monitors, hopefully good/better IPS panel like the mvp22u+(v3), also tempted to just grab an Ugee 2150 21.5" HD IPS tablet monitor, if I wait any longer, I'm better off waiting a few more months to grab Wacom's 27QHD, since it's cheaper than a 24HD model, and not much more expensive than the 22HD from wacom. I want to know the specs on the (22/27) upcoming Yiynova models, since they also are working on their own tilt sense feature, since that's the last bastion of Wacom now.

8. T-ravisty

@Burgundy

I'm interested to hear the specs of the new Yiynova models.
    I'm loving the competition nowadays.
    I've considered getting one of the competitors mainly due to the IPS panels and competitive price, Cintiq's are just too damn expensive.
    However I got my current setup for such a bargain I don't think I'll part with any of it anytime soon.

In saying this, I have a new toy.
    I bought 2x Wacom DTU-1031 on eBay for AUD ~$120.00, the seller didn't really know what he had.
    One had been dropped and the USB port on the device is a bit damaged, but I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to repair - it doesn't turn on.
    No cables, no pens came with them.
    If I can repair it I'll probably sell it on.

The other one, works like a dream. Simple plug 'n play.

These retail new for ~$450-650, was totally worth the gamble.
    I mainly got it to have an additional monitor for when I'm out and about with the x230t, just so I can look like a real twat when sitting in a cafe or meeting clients and whatnot.
    Seriously, I feel lost when I don't have a second display on demand.

Anyway, it's a blast to have both the DTU-2231 and DTU-1031 in tandem-use.
    I've been doing some 2D animation in PS CS6 lately with the plugin 'AnimDessin' - anyway, it's coming real handy to have the timeline and toolbars on the DTU-1031 and have a larger area on the DTU-2231.

DSC_0641.JPG DSC_0645.JPG DSC_0647.JPG

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Does it work with the X230t without drivers conflicting? Can you use the same pen? This looks like a dream for dual monitor use with the T902! Much better than my clunky and ugly Cintiq 15x pl-550, which I gave away the other day.

10. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty awesome setup you got there. And very interesting with those two tablet monitors working together.

Well specs for the new Yiynova models have been released in the Wacom alternative thread.
    The new 22" model, which I ordered yesterday, has a higher quality IPS panel than it's predecessor , 79% (from 74%)adobe colour gamut, and 98%(from 94%) sRGB colour gamut range, and removed hotkeys on the monitor, and instead got some 70's/80's looking remote with suction cups to be place on the surface anywhere, since it's glass screen(gorilla glass), my msp19u has zero scratches on it's surface and the nibs lasts like half a year if not more, unless you opt for texture screen protector, then it'll eat the nibs like any other texture surface would.

[​IMG]
    (this is not my photo, someone else being lucky getting one very early)

Think I'll test out if I'm able to use both the 19" and 22" Yiynova together, might unlock some interesting combos, if it works out well.

The pen used for the 4k series.
    [​IMG]