Share your desk setup thread!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Thanks =) I'm sure I'm heavily underutilizing this monitor compared to artists, but it is nice to get accurate colors so I see something closer to what my plots will look like once published.

I work in Aeronomy. This is essentially the study of the upper atmosphere. Specifically I mostly work with space based observations and their retrieval/analysis algorithms.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How do you get on with the gamepad?

Are they worth it? I've never tried one which is probably why I'm still umbilically tied to tablets with traditional keyboards..

workspace.jpg

Don't know if the pic attached - the uploader was a bit funny this morning.

My untidy workspace - the undershelf is a godsend when I am using traditional 2D media. Lately been doing some dip-pen drawing and I have some customised knib holders. The main shelf of my desk is for my t4210 which is now my main internet and blender machine.On the undershelf the Asus EP121 I bought off SteveS is used right now for checking my clay modeling.

Upper layer of my desk is where I do wax clay modeling. I use Chavant, Super Sculpey and Newplast clays. Behind me on the dinner table (which my partner isn't happy about) I have a book press for relief printing. Under the table is a container with 25kilos of oil-clay for a head sculpture I want to start in the next month.

Don't know where I'm going to do that - I may be banned from the dinner table if I try working on that!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

@jnjroach + Mesosphere:

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

@doobiedoobiedum:

I can say that the gamepad (I have a Razer Nostromo) was probably one of my best purchases of 2013.
    It's boosted my productivity and has great ergonomics.
    I picked it up used for AUD $40 ($90 new) and it's worked superbly.
    Definitely worth it imo.

Great desk area, loving the sculptures.
    Is this a hobby or a career?
    If you feel inclined to post more photo's of your sculptures that would be great!

Have you thought about trying Sculptris alongside Blender to maybe help block out designs if you aren't already (or using other 3D sculpting software)?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

I take it you can program them for common key commands and shortcuts?

Does it change with each different software - e.g. you can command some shortcuts / keypresses for Photoshop and another set for some other software?

I originally trained in car design so I learned (the hard way) to use what we called American Wax - applied with fingers and thumbs straight from a hot clay oven. I'm a jack of all trades now really, hence my workspace is a mixture of traditional and cgi. My career is still in the arts now, I worked for a couple of car and truck studios in the late 80's and early 90's but I always enjoyed clay modeling. My daughter is dust allergic so I gave up on air-dry clay a while ago and have been relearning how to use wax-clay.

Among other things, I teach a portrait night class in air-dry clay so what I do for me fits in the small spaces of time I have. :(-

My main job is teaching Indesign and other stuff.

I originally trained in Auocad in 1990 and then used the early versions of 3D Studio before the "Max" was attached. I have a copy of Sculptris but I just haven't got myself set up properly to explore it - so much easier to work with real clay I'm afraid.

This last November, I had a group of 3D animation and modeling students come to my class- they've offered to teach me Z-Brush in return for my help with their clay work. :eek:- Apparently the people who wrote Z-Brush now own Sculptris so I may finally get going...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I found Sculptris to be far more simple and easy to learn than Zbrush. I would be impressed if Sculptris ran ok on either tablet though. It's a bit more demanding of video cards than Zbrush is, which is more CPU bound.

I love the G13 gamepad, and yep you can program complicated macro's to any key. I use shortcuts immensly when animating and drawing, so it's too important not to have now. I can't speak for the Nostromo, but the G13 let's you program up to 3 profiles (at the flick of a button they change) for each program. At any point you switch software you simply change profiles with a press of a button (the G13 has a LED screen that you can scroll through your profiles or set to display streaming news, computer stats, pretty much anything you want.) and away you go. I only set one profile for each program to keep things less complicated, and the onboard memory bank on the G13 stores all your profiles so you can share them with any computer you plug it into. In other words you could seamlessly combine all your shortcuts and customized macros between both devices without so much as lifting a finger. You just need to install the driver on both machines and will always bring the most updated changes to your shortcuts with it and not store them on the computer.

6. doobiedoobiedum

Cheers for the info. I'll start keeping an eye out on Ebay.

7. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

8. doobiedoobiedum

Clay 01.jpg

Clay 02.jpg

Clay 03.jpg

The reason I haven't been able to do much of my own sculpture recently. These guys have been great and I'm looking forward to them teaching me Z-brush in return for teaching them clay modeling.

The old looking bald one with the shiny head is me...

thatcomicsguy, T-ravisty and ron2k_1 like this.
  9. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome work, doobiedoobiedum!

Traditional for digital training is a fair trade-off.

@Jamie-B: Nice stuff.
    How do you find drawing with the TPC longways? I feel it's too cramped for my liking... You don't get a sore hand?

10. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie