Share your desk setup thread!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 3, 2014.

1. IsaacKuo

IsaacKuo Pen Pal - Newbie

My current home setup, with old hardware because money. :/

I'm left-handed, so the Fujitsu T5010 goes on the left. The main body is actually underneath the LCD monitor - a boring 1280x1024 19". (There's a clipboard underneath it to prevent accidental keypresses).

To the right is my favorite keyboard in the world, a Logitech K810, along with a very old corded mouse because it feels better than any other mouse I've tried.

But the weird layout is ultimately dictated by the monstrous elephant in the room - a bulky and heavy 21" IBM Trinitron CRT. I run it at 2048x1536i, where it's a shockingly good match for the 1280x1024 LCD when zoomed at 150%. The resolution of this display is nice, but in order for me to take advantage of it I need to sit up close to it. This prevented me from placing my T5010 directly in front of it--or really, beneath it. I mean, I could have folded the T5010 into tablet mode, but this would introduce a lot of thickness above the desk surface.

It's an ugly kludge to place the T5010 further to the left than I would really like. Someday, I hope to upgrade to a Seiki 39" 4K display, which would neatly replace both monitors. It could be further back so I could center my tabletPC underneath it. I'll need to upgrade to a tabletPC that can output 4K, though...not sure what yet...what's the cheapest used tabletPC that can output 4K@30hz to HDMI?

Attached Files:

darkmagistric and Mesosphere like this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I love that keyboard too =)

IsaacKuo likes this.
  3. IsaacKuo

My work setup, with another Fujitsu T5010. It may be easier to see how I place the body away from me, so the keyboard would be upside-down. The keyboard laying on top of the T5010's body is a boring full size Dell USB keyboard, and you can see the inelegant overhang to the right. I'd prefer a compact keyboard, but not enough to spend much money on it.

The monitors are boring 1280x1024 monitors. Center and right are supported by a fancy desk arm. The left monitor is supported by a book.

Hmm...maybe I should invest in a cheap bluetooth adapter so I can use my Logitech K810 or maybe a K380 and switch between my personal T5010 and my work workstation without kludging things with two physical keyboards...

Attached Files:

4. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

You might want to try Mouse Without Borders. The software allows using single keyboard + mouse set to control multiple Windows machines at once.

There is also Synergy, a cross-platform solution, if you ever need to work with e.g. both Windows and Linux/OSX systems.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  5. IsaacKuo

I love Synergy, and I use it extensively at home, but I don't think it's going to really work in this case. Different networks (internal wired vs personal wifi), firewall issues, etc... Even if I set up a third computer somewhere on the internet to tunnel ssh via, the result is going to be laggy.

6. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

The interwebs say about 13' radius. I think its tighter on the 40" than on the larger units, maybe under 10'. The curve definitely has a noticeable effect up close.

I took delivery of Samsung UN40JU6700 Curved 40-Inch 4K Ultra HD yesterday
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40J...4481872&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+curved+4k+40"

I've only had a few hours with it. I've been a big monitor enthusiast for 25 years but this is way over the top. I'll likely keep it and there are some things I already love about it but its a really large piece of kit. Its almost embarrassing. Its definitely imposing. The most surprising drawback: puts out a hell of a lot of local heat when you are sitting under a meter away.

Meso your tips to tweak it were very helpful. I'm sure there are other options I havent found yet but its definitely usable for CAD. The Ui in some programs look a little fuzzy. There's not a lot of software written to display well at this size.

I'll get to the pictures after I get it settled in. I'm planning to mount it to an Ergotron arm. If that works, it should improve the general usability. I've got to get it off the desk surface and have more variable angles.

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Haha, I know what you mean. Right out of the box I felt that way a bit too. IMO it helped to place it relatively low relative to my eye level. I presently have it sitting about 32" from my eyes and my eye level is about ~75% up from the bottom. I'm used to having this much monitor space (actually slightly more) from my work setup, but the height of it definitely made it feel imposing.

I can't say I've noticed the heat, but I had been thinking of hooking up my half melted Kill A Watt up to it =)

Precurve likes this.
  8. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

imagesbicycle-upside-down-Australia.jpg