Share your desk setup thread!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by T-ravisty, Jan 3, 2014.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The problem I have with most cable and office organizing solutions is that they assume a fairly static setup. I'm always adding and subtracting devices and before you know it, I've undone all the tidy work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Precurve likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Mine:
    12045655_10207788122970395_373829198008216156_o.jpg

I Almost feel ashamed...

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Don't be. I am ashamed... and therefor wont post mine =P With yours it is at least easy to track what goes where. I have to resort to the trial and error method when I unplug things =P

Azzart likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Cleaning up my cable situation is a two stage process.

The first stage is dust bunny huntin'. Gotta clear out the wildlife.

By the time I'm done with that, I'm usually too pooped, sweaty and sneezing to go snake wrangling. I have a serious rabbit problem. I don't know *where* all that frigging dust even comes from. I go on expeditions every couple of months, and come up for air with enough to make a sweater each time.

Though... I recently lost one of those way-too-big-to-be-good-for-you USB sticks. (When you can store so much stuff on a stick, you're tempted to treat it like a hard drive. That's a problem when they can vanish so easily). I've looked everywhere else and I'm eyeing the one place where it most likely is. Behind my desk.

Might be time to put on the pith helmet again. Or the hazmat suit...

stoneseeker and Mesosphere like this.
  5. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I really like this idea. I need a big monitor for my new workstation and it has a GTX970.

Meso, if I wanted to use this for 3D, CAD and and general visualization stuff is the clarity and color good enough for that? Part of the problem with a ~28" 4K computer monitor is that my eyes aren't good enough for that tight PPI. So a 40" sounds really interesting.

What additional tweaks did you have to make? Any other idiosyncrasies to share?

6. Mesosphere

The color seems good, but they definitely look different than my IPS that sits beside it. I'm not sure which one is the more accurate of the two, but I've only messed with the color settings a little bit. With color I never know what I'm going for, so my adjustments are pretty aimless. At 40", 4K is perfect PPI IMO for computer monitor use. It is almost exactly the same PPI as my 27" QHD monitor (110 PPI for the TV vs. 109 for the monitor). That is enough for a "retina" distance of 31" which is a little bit closer than my typical view distance. I don't feel a need for a higher pixel density than that in my usage.

To get it good for displaying fonts, it was mostly just an exercise of turning off all the TV's post processing filters. You get most of the way there buy turning on "game mode", which is meant to reduce input lag, but I think it accomplishes this by greatly toning down the post processing. There were a few other things that I turned off as well, but cant remember at the moment. Another thing that helped quite a bit was setting the sharpness to zero. In the end the I'd say the display is a little bit less pixel accurate compared to my IPS, but still very good. Also the view angles aren't up to IPS quality (since it isn't IPS =P), but they are better than on the T904. Overall I'm really happy with it as a monitor. My $1000+ ~30" monitors at work are certainly better, but from a real estate/$ prospective, the TV is a really good computer monitor (at least for my uses which is mostly reading, writing, plotting, coding etc.) The TV also shines in terms of window placement flexibility that spreading the real-estate across more monitors puts a hamper on.

Precurve likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll share my Desk Set Up

Was somewhat tempted to pose my consortium of tablets on the open spaces on the desk, (CC2, Pro3, TPT10, Asus Note 8, etc) but I really try not to use them at my home base, aside from booting one up to get a file or something. So they aren't really part of my desk set up.

Main Monitor is the 2nd gen Cintiq 21UX
    The Big monitor in back is a 40 Inch RCA TV that was going to replace my TV...but the feed from my Comcast box didn't look too good, so I decided to use it as a monitor instead. (My 7+ year low-res Norcent TV still suffices)
    To the left is 29 Inch AOC Megawide screen monitor (Holy Aspect Ratio Batman!)
    And to the right is the 13 inch Lenovo Lt1423p. I just got this a few days ago and still working out the kinks....but it completes my unnecessary excessive need for a Quad-Monitor setup

All powered from the Shoebox PC beneath my desk. Mini iTX Cooler Master Elite 130, Devils Canyon Core i7-4790K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 16GB Ram, 512 SSD for my C-Drive, and a 4TB HHD for storage. As much as I love the idea and size of the small shoebox sized desktop.....it was not fun to put together. desktop set up.jpg

8. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't help but .. why the upside down map?! Oh the American continent looks like Donald duck from this perspective. I guess I can't unsee that from now on.

darkmagistric likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I prefer to think of it as a Dragon breathing fire. Or a duck breathing fire could also work

Seriously though...I picked this up on my trip to Australia last Feb. To quote the map,

" Traditional World Maps are drawn from the perspective of the first European explorers and cartographers - with the northern hemisphere at the top. We think it's time to break tradition and show the world the perspective of all those people living in the Southern Hemisphere. After all, there is no ancient geographical feature saying "This way up"."

So in other words....its the world as T-ravisty views it

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    T-ravisty likes this.
  10. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

You talked me into it Meso. But when I went to order it I found the curved version: Samsung UN40JU6700 40-Inch 4K and rationalized the health benefits for my aging eyes were worth the extra $pend. Should have it this weekend.

Mesosphere likes this.
  11. Mesosphere

If I could have justified the $, I would have done the same. It was hard enough to convince myself to move up in price from the failed Vizio TV.

At least at the distance I sit at, I can just barely notice the poor viewing angle effects in the corners of the screen. The curve would probably help with that.

Definitely post pics =)

Also, do you happen to know what the radius of curvature is on the curve (or whatever units they quote it in?)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015