Several questions

Discussion in 'Linux on Tablet PC Forum' started by brvdboss, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowball.one

snowball.one Pen Pal - Newbie

I decided that I will buy the HP EliteBook 2730p. The more I look at it, the more I want it. I will probably buy it when I get to college in the US (August) so I can take advantage of the three-year limited warranty.

Now, my questions...

1) I saw the good news that Ubuntu 9.04 supports tablet features natively. Yay, Ubuntu! What about us non-Ubuntu users? Is this support included in the vanilla kernel, thus making it a reality for other Linux distributions?

2) Does OneNote2007 work properly in wine and/or Crossover Office? Are all the features available?

3) kpvic mentioned SHIP. What is that? Wiki doesn't have any information...

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

1) Unsure. Ubuntu is the best (and most common) linux distro for normal users and most of us don't pay attention to other builds.
    2) It will install with crossover, but doesn't have inking support ATM due to errors during the installation process (only can install using a xp bottle, which lacks tablet functionality).
    3) SHIP = Stylus/ Handwriting Input Panel. It is supposed to be a makeshift tablet input panel for linux.

3. snowball.one

snowball.one Pen Pal - Newbie

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

I have. Cellwriter is a alright solution, but never really did the job as well as i would have liked.

5. brvdboss

brvdboss Scribbler - Standard Member

You can get it to work on any Linux distro. It doesn't require specific support from the kernel as in a tablet the wacom-panel is connected to a serial port. What you do require is a module for the X.org-server (see the linuxwacom project on sourceforge). Most distros include a package to install this.

The advantage of Ubuntu is that it (allegedly) automatically takes care of all configuration for you at install time. Although I once heard a report that OpenSuSe does this as well (possible after installing the wacom package, although I can't confirm this personally).

A brief guide how to install Office 2007 on Ubuntu can be found here: http://www.programmerfish.com/roffice-2007-in-linux
    It's for the previous version of Ubuntu, but I doubt anything has changed. Didn't try it myself yet though.

SHIP actually uses the input panel from Windows XP TE or Vista. It grabs the handwriting, sends it to a server running XP TE or Vista, does the handwriting recognition and then sends it back. In practice, this means you have to run a Virtual Machine or Emulator in your linux with Windows installed that can be used to run this application. Personally, I don't think this is the most elegant solution available.