Serious: Is TabletPCReview about to go dark?!!!!

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by lovelaptops, Apr 15, 2018.

1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

For the record - we the Mods are all volunteers and outside what has been said "foreseeable future" we have no official response. We keep working behind the scenes to keep the forum SPAM Free and Civil. We are members of the community and we're selected out of the community for the role.

I believe that we will be here as long as we have a community :)

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for reminding us of that, Jeff. The mods - you very especially included - not only keep the forum friendly and spam-free, you also provide so many pertinent facts and links to both local and external content on subjects discussed in threads. I'm really disturbed at the thought that we have to just sit on our hands and "hope" that "as far as [anyone] knows, the forum will be maintained. I would like to take some concerted action to at least let the powers that be know how important this forum is to its members and that in case it ceases to make business sense to run it even just on the blood, sweat and tears of volunteer mods and contributing members - there are some "hard costs" to keeping this puppy up and breathing - that we would like to have a chance to subsidize/buy/sell/move it so it has a safe landing and all of us may continue to gain the enormous personal satisfaction that being a part of this community provides. Nobody seems to know, or to want to say in print, who one might contact at TT nor to provide insights that might go beyond "as far as we know..." Please feel free to PM me (or email me at jeffdbellin@gmail.com) if you have any ideas you don't want to publish. I was an investment banker for many years in the technology/software/content industries (not Goldman Sachs, small boutiques and my own company for 22 years) and would be happy to have some conversations just to take temperatures, but I'm seeking a little more input about TT and perhaps the names of individuals who might have a sympathetic ear. This isn't exactly top secret clearance kind of stuff, and anything TT may be thinking about doing with this segment of its business can't likely amount to a significant entry on their balance sheet, so it may just be a matter of determining what their goals/needs are and seeing if we can make them align with ours and perhaps a third party property that may be well equipped to take over hosting and bringing all the members and mods along - only if TT is considering a move.

Thanks for any and all thoughts. Jeff (also)

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Hi all,

Yes, editorial work has stopped across the Technology Guide sites.

There are no plans to shut down the forums.

Charles

nnthemperor, dstrauss, stormi and 3 others like this.
  4. lovelaptops

Charles, from the days we tussled over my flaunting of rules, to the years of your stewardship of NBR and TPCR, I am eternally grateful for your leadership and wish you only the best. I know I speak for many others in expressing this. Please let us know where you land; I'm sure you will do well and, hopefully, find a spot where this kind of content and communities are the lifeblood of a business model that works. If no other, this experience has taught me that I must turn off ad blocking on all but the most obnoxious large corporate sites that slow everything down and don't reward people with content worth "paying" for in that way.

RA_from_BH likes this.
  5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Hi Jeff,

I'm still on staff here, at NBR, and on Brighthand in a limited capacity managing the forums. I was let go from the editorial responsibility along with everyone else in December 2017. I had been a contributor at NBR since 2005.
    On NBR I am allowed to publish "Forum Spotlight" articles that highlight user content. This is the latest one. I'm glad I'm able to publish those. I may be able to do something similar here on TPCR if there is interest. Also I can take any ideas you all have and present them. As I said Tech Target is keeping the forums going and as long as you're all here I can't see that changing.

Charles

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

@Charles P. Jefferies Thanks for some good news :) Already wanted to ask about NBR because there was still some activity. I really like these 'Forum Spotlights' at NBR and I think something similar at TPCR sounds like a great idea, though I don't know how many ppl visit the main site and will read these.

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

That's really great news, @Charles P. Jefferies . I think your Forum Spotlight is awesome and would be greatly appreciated here. The automated tools for highlighting new and active threads are not as helpful as they might be. Also, I think it would stimulate more activity by new visitors to have a better sense of "what's hot" on the Forum. Your presence - and reassurance - is a great comfort.

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am happy to see a strong group of enthusiastic, faithful members here who will manage to keep this community alive, one way or another. If the worst were to happen, I have minimally 3 years on my unlimited shared hosting and it only costs me $30 per three year period (for life) through a special deal I sprung on some time ago. $10 a year really doesn't break the bank for me.

Starlight5, dellaster and JoeS like this.
  9. lovelaptops

Thank you @sonichedgehog360 . I for one am happy to see that you have joined our group of enthusiastic, faithful members, trying to keep this community alive. If the expenses should grow and the need to add software or server capacity that is not so cheap should arise, please sound the alarm and we will create a Patreon or even a gofundme. I know for a fact that more than 7 and fewer than 100 of our rag-tag band of merry tableteers have the means to make nominal contributions to keep ourselves amused, entertained, informed - oh yeah, that! - and to have some company at times when it seems nothing else people are talking about keeps me from grabbing for Pepto Bismol several times per day! :(:rolleyes::oops::):):):)

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I second Jeff's motion Sonic...

nnthemperor and sonichedgehog360 like this.