Serious: Is TabletPCReview about to go dark?!!!!

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by lovelaptops, Apr 15, 2018.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

This is sad news to read. This place, plus Stylus Reddit and XDA-developers have been invaluable to discerning the devices that suit my needs. Mostly TPCR!

I am willing to help to find a on-going solution.

Starlight5 likes this.
  2. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Had no idea there was a stylus reddit, but I assume most people would congregate there if things go south?

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

It's hard to even characterize how different these platforms are. Reddit and certain sub-Reddits can be invaluable in gaining some insights but TPCR is a true community. There is literally no trolling, no disrespect, no grandstanding in this community, attributes that veritably define Reddit. As for XDA, it is an excellent, sprawling forum/blog and I wouldn't change a thing about it, but here we have "our people," we've come to know many of each other and we are so welcoming to newcomers that they soon become "one of us." TPCR is, to me, my neighborhood watering hole, where I learn a great deal, have occasional opportunities to help others myself (though, admittedly, I have far more to learn-from than to teach in this group), always feel comfortable, often just feel better about my day after some exchanges - whether just informative, or some fun-poking, or lively debate - within these "walls."

I've yet to see a post from anyone who is either a Mod or a person who can connect to anyone at Tech Target to assess their stance on the future of TPCR, assess the cleanness of the structure of the database driving this site and what would be entailed in taking over responsibility - and costs - for maintaining and hosting it, etc. I'm hoping that this may be happening behind the scenes, but in lieu of any comments suggesting any action underway, I'm concerned that this thread may be something of a circle-j--k which is working neither towards knowledge of where things are headed absent an intervention by members nor towards that intervention itself.

I'm a flawed leader in these respects, but I have an important question for all:

If I was to take intiative in lieu of anyone else doing so, what should I do? I'm sure I could get a message to TT diplomatically explaining our concern (gaining the equivalent of signatures for a "petition," only to express a strong desire to keep this community running, would give any such contact more validity) and asking for an "official" response as to where things stand/are going, what we could do to inject ourselves in the process, including a possible purchase of the forum, if the terms were reasonable and could be funded by membership fees, or other creative financing - including possible merger into XDA or even @MobileTechReview (Lisa?). It would be pretty easy, in my mind, to achieve this, but it could be made more difficult, particularly if TT wants to include TPCR in a bundled sale, along with all its other properties.

Feedback on the above paragraph, particularly the opening question in bold?

Starlight5 likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Frankly Jeff, I don't have a clue as to how to proceed. I've been through the closing of numerous forums over the years, mostly for lack of participation. Here we have a very active community, but it is a small group of hyperactive members by the looks of the member detail. Perhaps a Patreon support deal might keep it going (I'm a Patreon member of several different sites), but not sure that could keep a detached forum going.

Maybe the mods should weigh in here for more direction?

Starlight5 likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

Th
    Anks Dale. I too am a Patreon member for several sites, including Lisa Gade's MobileTechReview - specifically because I value her work and don't want to see her go dark! Of course, she has several hundred thousand subs; I wonder what our unique visitor/page view metrics are. I guess I can get that from Google Analytics or alexa.com. Will check, but I know the numbers will be pathetic.

6. lovelaptops

*Important: please PM me about any knowledge/contacts you may have but which aren't for public dissemination. I want to know what I need to stay clear of saying publicly if it could be harmful to any private/back-channel talks anyone is having. I'll be happy, for my part, to stop posting here if that's in the interest of preserving my sole objective. Thanks

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm certainly willing to contribute / subscribe as needed to keep the TPRForum open if and when the owners decide to close it down. Unfortunately, I have no ideas or contacts or knowledge how to go about setting up a new forum and preferably transferring all the archives from this one.

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

Thanks for the support; it makes a great difference.

9. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

I was the Site Editor of TabletPCReview for many years, but as was pointed out in the OP, TechTarget decided to stop adding new content at the end of 2017. I'm no longer involved with the site or TechTarget... I now work for Cult of Mac.

All I can tell you is what was told to me when I was let go: the plan is to keep the forums going for the foreseeable future. TechTarget is a large company with the resources to keep up the forum, so I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

This site was the main focus of my life for about a decade, so I wish you all well.

XJ12, Marty, bloodycape and 12 others like this.
  10. lovelaptops

Ed,
    I am so sorry to hear that you were separated from TabletPCReview in the way it sounds as if it came about. The last sentence of your post reflects both pride and pain and I'm hoping you have more of the former than the latter, but clearly this was an abrupt and very unpleasant way to learn you needed to kiss goodbye a labor of love for so long (I'm inclined to believe it was not the pay that kept you so committed! :vbwink:)

I know I speak for so many of us when I say that even if the forum remains, your immeasurable contribution for the entire time I have been a member will be sorely missed. I love Cult of Mac and it sounds like a great place for you to land, and that's coming from a near-hater of the brand :vbeek: (Apple, not Cult of Mac). There is great editorial work done there and I know your involvement will bring it to an entirely new level, preferably with the resources you undoubtedly lacked for all these years at the helm of TPCR. I hope you may be able to influence Apple to end the ban on touch screens and styli for their laptops and I know you will make great contributions to the editorial content on that well-respected site. Please don't be a stranger here. Also, look for your fair share of heckling from many fans and friends from TPCR because, well, that's how we roll here, and how we show our love!

Thanks too for being so candid in making this announcement. We are all pretty nervous as to what TT's strategic plan may be going forward and whether the cost reductions at your expense will be sufficient to induce them to continue to host this forum that has come to mean so much to what, sadly, is a fairly small but fiercely loyal membership, many of whom have been here the entire time you were. There's no reason in my mind why the Corporate parent couldn't have used advertising - of the forum - to bring in a lot more members, thus generating the volume of page views that would make it a viable ad-supported platform given how popular tablets have been since 2010 and "tablet PCs/convertibles/2-in 1s, etc. in the past 3 years since Microsoft made inking a fundamental attribute of the OS and the devices this emphasis spawned.

You will be missed, and we wish you the best of luck at Cult of Mac - as compared with "Cult of crazies, fanatics and nutjobs, that you have run and supported so well for 10 years!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018