Series 7 Slate USB driver issues with Win 8 Retail Upgrade.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by TheWerewolf, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

Hi everyone.

I've not seen this problem reported here, so I'm hoping someone has an idea.

I've upgraded my Series 7 Slate to Win 8 and it 'kind of' works. Basically the only problem is that on a reboot, one of the USB drivers fails to start up, specifically the:

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D

Driver. This is the USB controller that hosts the USB Port, SD Card and Wacom Pen (but not touch, oddly), so when it fails, you can't use the pen. For a while, it was the other Enhanced Host Controller,(1C20) and I couldn't use the touchscreen, JUST the pen.

If I uninstall the driver and let the system reinstall it, it works fine until the next reboot or sleep, then the problem returns, which clearly isn't a viable solution. I don't have this problem at wll with Win7 - it works perfectly.

I can't find any updated drivers for Win8 on Samsung's site, nor any updated Intel chipset drivers for Win8 on Intel's site. Given that this tablet was handed out at //build/ last year as a 'reference platform', it's kind of surprising this problem shows up.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd be very grateful as I bought this tablet specifically with the intent of using it for Win8 development when Win8 got released and it's frustrating not to be able to do that.

2. qdewolf

qdewolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Go to intel's driver site and have it do the autocheck for drivers and it will offer up newer drivers that work.

3. arglebargle2

arglebargle2 Pen Pal - Newbie

You don't have to uninstall the driver and reinstall it, you just have to disable it and then re-enable.

I've been having the same problem

When I run the intel check for drivers thing, it says I have the current version and then in the details it says this "This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates"

4. jasoncli

jasoncli Scribbler - Standard Member

Same issue here. I did the disable and re-enable trick and it fixes it. However sometimes all forms of input are disabled: pen, touch, USB anything. After resetting it won't resolve. When I was outside my house I had no way to fix it until I got home and docked it and then reset a few times to get my keyboard back and then was able to navigate. I'm traveling out of town and didn't expect to need to take my docking station/keyboard/mouse, but I'm worried that I will have a non-functioning laptop if I travel without pounds of equipment handy. Did Bluetooth work when this was happening to you? Maybe I can pickup a Bluetooth keyboard and keep that handy in case it happens while I travel.

5. josephi

josephi Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same issue. Finally remembered an issue before that I had regarding USB based LAN adapters... The power management is suspending USB ports to save power.

So I changed the plan settings for the Samsung Optimized plan that was the default. Went to Advanced Settings/USB Settings/USB selective suspend setting and set it to Disabled for both battery and plugged-in modes. It seemed to do the trick.

6. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

7. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

OL, I spoke too soon. After a subsequent reboot, it stopped working again. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the BOIS updated failing while using the above mentioned SW Update tool

Anyone else having the same issue? Bios updating = touch not working.

The pen input BTW is working fine.

8. jasoncli

jasoncli Scribbler - Standard Member

This issue is very frustrating. I tried editing my power options as described earlier and updated every driver I could find. No luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.