Series 7 Slate Disassembly?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by HammerFET, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HammerFET

HammerFET Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I've got my 64GB slate about a week ago and I'm loving everything about it... except the fact that I've now run of of hard drive space...

I've been looking at the OCZ 120GB mSATA Drive:

OCZ 120GB Nocti SSD - mSATA SATA-II - Read 280MB/s.. | Ebuyer.com

But I'm not sure how I'd open up the slate. I've heard that all you need to do is take a credit card and unclip around the back cover starting from the USB port. But I've tried to do that and I get stuck once I get just past the HDMI port...

Any ideas on how this is meant to be done? I've manage to scuff a couple bits around the USB so I don't want to try be too rough with it.

Thanks all!

2. johndc

johndc Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait for the glue holding the screen into the bezel to fail and the glass will pop out all by itself. :) I imagine that this is how the unit is put together, the components are squashed between the rear and the glass held by some cheap adhesive strips.....

3. ChrisRS

ChrisRS Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you are describing the back removal method for the Asus EP121. An early post said the "build" unit had a glued on back

4. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

These are considered by Samsung as 'disposable' and therefore non-servicable, or even repairable for that matter.

This is a all for the user, who needn't be bothered with sending it in, which is such a bore and costly to Samsung. Just through it away.

People will soon be doing just that after a few replacements.

Just use the USB and SD ports, if you can get the covers off, which I still can't do.

5. Velnica

Velnica Pen Pal - Newbie

Did I just entered a bag the latest Samsung product thread? -_-

HammerFET, have you tried maybe heating the corner you are stuck on?

6. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ignore what others have said.

The Series 7 Slate comes apart very easily (and no, it is not "glued" together.) You need to remove the rear/back of the slate to get to all the goodies inside.. i can have one open in about 30 seconds and all I need is an old ID card (or a credit card.) The back is held on with small clips (you won't see them)... but they release when pulled apart. All you need to do is take a plastic card and run the corner/edge of it inside the seam for the back of the device (don't "pry".. just run the card inside the seam.) Just put a corner of a card in the seam at the USB port... then just SLOWLY run the corner of the card all the way around the seam.. when you get to a fastner the pressure will cause the fastner to "pop" open. Just keep going. YES.. once all the fastners are release there is a small amount of adheasive glue in the center of the back... just lift the back of the case off and the adhesive will release (I think the adhesive might at as more of a buffer layer to stop vibrations, etc.) When you are finished just press the back onto the chassis and the clips will reattach it securly.

7. Velnica

Velnica Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait, if you have one open already, can you just tell us what is holding the screen to the back case around the bottom half of the slate? (i'm talking around the windows button) Curious as to why that part is such a problem spot.

8. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

No, I own one now, and like it. It's just that we thought the thing was glued together (and badly at that).

I don't know, perhaps i'm behind the times. Is glue the new thing?
    If so i'm all for it. :)

9. HammerFET

HammerFET Pen Pal - Newbie

@im140.2

That's exactly what I tried to do, but the area around the hdmi port wouldn't budge.

The only way I could see to start was going from the usb port, downwards towards the volume buttons. I couldn't go the other way round the top left corner.

I'll give it another go.

10. Saluda

Saluda Pen Pal - Newbie

Still waiting on the answer to what is holding the screen in place?