Series 7 Slate Disassembly?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by HammerFET, Nov 9, 2011.

1. HammerFET

HammerFET Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I've got my 64GB slate about a week ago and I'm loving everything about it... except the fact that I've now run of of hard drive space...

I've been looking at the OCZ 120GB mSATA Drive:

OCZ 120GB Nocti SSD - mSATA SATA-II - Read 280MB/s.. | Ebuyer.com

But I'm not sure how I'd open up the slate. I've heard that all you need to do is take a credit card and unclip around the back cover starting from the USB port. But I've tried to do that and I get stuck once I get just past the HDMI port...

Any ideas on how this is meant to be done? I've manage to scuff a couple bits around the USB so I don't want to try be too rough with it.

Thanks all!

2. johndc

johndc Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait for the glue holding the screen into the bezel to fail and the glass will pop out all by itself. :) I imagine that this is how the unit is put together, the components are squashed between the rear and the glass held by some cheap adhesive strips.....

3. ChrisRS

ChrisRS Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you are describing the back removal method for the Asus EP121. An early post said the "build" unit had a glued on back

4. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

These are considered by Samsung as 'disposable' and therefore non-servicable, or even repairable for that matter.

This is a all for the user, who needn't be bothered with sending it in, which is such a bore and costly to Samsung. Just through it away.

People will soon be doing just that after a few replacements.

Just use the USB and SD ports, if you can get the covers off, which I still can't do.

5. Velnica

Velnica Pen Pal - Newbie

Did I just entered a bag the latest Samsung product thread? -_-

HammerFET, have you tried maybe heating the corner you are stuck on?

6. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ignore what others have said.

The Series 7 Slate comes apart very easily (and no, it is not "glued" together.) You need to remove the rear/back of the slate to get to all the goodies inside.. i can have one open in about 30 seconds and all I need is an old ID card (or a credit card.) The back is held on with small clips (you won't see them)... but they release when pulled apart. All you need to do is take a plastic card and run the corner/edge of it inside the seam for the back of the device (don't "pry".. just run the card inside the seam.) Just put a corner of a card in the seam at the USB port... then just SLOWLY run the corner of the card all the way around the seam.. when you get to a fastner the pressure will cause the fastner to "pop" open. Just keep going. YES.. once all the fastners are release there is a small amount of adheasive glue in the center of the back... just lift the back of the case off and the adhesive will release (I think the adhesive might at as more of a buffer layer to stop vibrations, etc.) When you are finished just press the back onto the chassis and the clips will reattach it securly.

7. Velnica

Velnica Pen Pal - Newbie

Wait, if you have one open already, can you just tell us what is holding the screen to the back case around the bottom half of the slate? (i'm talking around the windows button) Curious as to why that part is such a problem spot.

8. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

No, I own one now, and like it. It's just that we thought the thing was glued together (and badly at that).

I don't know, perhaps i'm behind the times. Is glue the new thing?
    If so i'm all for it. :)

9. HammerFET

HammerFET Pen Pal - Newbie

@im140.2

That's exactly what I tried to do, but the area around the hdmi port wouldn't budge.

The only way I could see to start was going from the usb port, downwards towards the volume buttons. I couldn't go the other way round the top left corner.

I'll give it another go.

10. Saluda

Saluda Pen Pal - Newbie

Still waiting on the answer to what is holding the screen in place?

11. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...what is holding the screen in place?..>>

...It's probably strips of thin, double-faced foam tape or it's a layer of adhesive film. This is a fairly standard approach for bonding a window onto the land of a frame...

12. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll get you an answer shortly when i get back from my business trip. I believe it's glue or an adhesive... not tape.

13. augenblick

augenblick Pen Pal - Newbie

It is a 1cm wide about 10 cm long adhesive tape in the middle of the plastic back cover.

14. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So... that's literally all that is holding it? Would you have any suggestion on how to make the sticky 'nuss' better? No wonder they're all falling out :/

Ohh eck!

15. Steve S

<<...It is a 1cm wide about 10 cm long adhesive tape in the middle of the plastic back cover...>>

<<...that's literally all that is holding it?..>>

...I'm wondering if there might be some confusion, here? It sounds like augenblick is describing the double-stick (double face) foam tape that some have mentioned that helps to hold the back cover on the S7S, not the adhesive that holds the screen (or screen shield) to the frame?

<<...Would you have any suggestion on how to make the sticky 'nuss' better?..>>

...Sadly, it doesn't typically work that way. If an adhesive bond fails, the best usual repair approach is to clean the adhesive off all parts and apply a fresh adhesive layer...

16. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

No, he's refering to the tape on the inside of the back cover that acts as a dampner between the back and the "stuff" inside.... This is not related to how the screen is held in place. The screen/glass is adhered to the chassis with a bonding agent. I am not sure what it is ("glue" much be too simple of a term), but it's certainly not "tape".

17. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

If you happen to take the back off again, can you please take some pics. This might be very helpful in diagnosing and fixing the screen above bezel issue.

18. augenblick

augenblick Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry about the confusion. What I described was the double tape holding the back cover not the LCD display. BTW, Is there a place I can buy a strong double sided tape to further enhance my felxing back cover after opening for SSD upgrade ;)?

19. Steve S

<<...Is there a place I can buy a strong double sided tape to further enhance my felxing back cover...>>

augen: The tape may help minimize flexure of the back cover, but it may not fix the related problem that has been reported.

One of two things is likely happening: Either 1) Pressing on the back cover causes the cover to contact points on the internal electronics and causes short circuits, or... 2) Pressing on the back cover causes the cover to press against the internal electronics and causes short circuits between the layers of electronics. (Perhaps im104.2 can tell us which one it is...)

To fix #1, you simply need to cover the offending areas on the inside surface of the back cover with an insulating layer (assuming that there are no stray capacitance issues); a plastic film or a layer of insulating paper. More double-face tape could also do the same thing, but it would likely make the back cover harder to get off in the future.

To fix #2, you would need to insert non-conductive stand-offs (spacers) or a layer of insulation (again, with consideration for the possible effects) between the offending layers of electronics or circuitry.

The bottom line, as usual, is that until you determine the exact cause, you won't know what the exact fix might be...

Oh, PS: To answer your explicit question: You can find good quality double-face foam tape at your local building supplies store (such as Lowe's or Builder's Emporium). Look for Scotch (tm) Mounting Squares (in both removable and more permanent versions) or Duck (tm) Mounting Tape (a more permanent foam tape in rolls)...

20. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

I just took the back off of mine. Took about 5 minutes to figure it out. Looks like it is easy to replace the mSATA SSD but the RAM chips are soldered directly to the board meaning you can't upgrade the RAM.

The WiFi PCI-E slot is also accessible. I saw someone earlier mentioning a WiFi+3G card they want to buy. Unfortunately I didn't notice a SIM slot anywhere. I thought maybe that odd shape on the plastic near the rotation button opens up for models that come with a data card, but there doesn't appear to be any SIM contacts near it. I also didn't notice any wire for an antenna for the 3G card. Has anyone disassembled a BUILD unit?

To remove the back, just stick a credit card in the USB slot between the matte and the glossy layers and move down towards the bottom of the unit. Use an old credit card as it will damage the corners. Angle the credit card so that it is almost parallel with the side of the computer and slide it down along the side. This will release the clips. Make your way all around the tablet. When prying the back cover off, check the headphone jack as it extends into the hole in the side of the cover. You just need to pull the cover away from it. There is a small adhesive strip on the back to make the back stick to the unit and not flex as much.

The way the back cover is held on to the chassis is solid, unfortunately I couldn't really tell anything about the screen. As I was prying the clips on the right side, the screen rose off the bezel quite a bit. Doesn't seem any different once I put it all back together, though. Reattaching the back is really simple, everything just clicks into place. My edges also seem undamaged from the opening and closing. Not that I care though, I'm taking it back because my screen has dust under it.

I don't think adding tape to the cover is going to cause any short circuits as it seems to be made of plastic. It really shouldn't need any extra tape though as mine doesn't noticeable flex. If yours does, then you one's adhesive probably isn't good. Fix/replace that strip, you don't need to add another.

Pictures

[​IMG]

Album
    Series 7 Slate Back - Imgur